Re: a little translation help ???

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, I wrote:
      > Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my
      mind,
      > writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
      > suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well.
      Sorry
      > again. Lucy

      Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
      the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
      line.

      Here it is:
      sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

      Lucy
    • Chuppy Celdran
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
        Can you please help me translate what this sign means in english?? thank you

        chuppy
        > Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my
        mind,
        > writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
        > suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well.
        Sorry
        > again. Lucy

        Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
        the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
        line.

        Here it is:
        sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

        Lucy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Chuppy Celdran
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
          Can someone please help me translate what this sign means in english??
          thanks

          chuppy
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
            Lucy wrote:
            > Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
            > the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
            > line.
            >
            > Here it is:
            > sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

            You've spelt _living_ with noldo, but in Tolkien's English modes, it should
            be spelt with nwalme, since all attested English modes use the quessetéma
            for velars (k-series), while the calmatéma is used for palatalveolars
            (ch[tsh]-series).

            You've spelt _is_ with esse nuquerna. This follows the phonetic
            representation of voiced final consonants as seen in the orthographic mode
            of the Brogan Tengwa Greetings (where the word _is_ is actually attested).
            I'd suggest, however, to follow rather the King's Letters that represent
            final consonants according to Traditional English Spelling, i.e., I'd
            suggest _is_ to be spelt with silme nuquerna.

            And you call that mode the "Common English Mode". I wouldn't use this term.
            I think it isn't based but on Dan Smith's use. I highly appreciate his work,
            but who could decide which English mode is "common"? This term isn't used by
            Tolkien. I'd rather suggest a term that describes the mode, e.g.
            "orthographic English tehtar mode", or "orthographic English general use".

            suilaid
            mach
          • Calwen Rudh
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
              First line is in Sindarin and it reads: _cuil a chuinad_ and in
              English it means _life for living_ (Sindarin very seldom uses
              verb „to be" that's why it is missing here). The signs are these of
              Tengwar.

              Second line reads the same as the first line (_cuil a chuinad_) but
              in a different style.

              Third line was supposed to be English _life is for living_ but the
              transcription is NOT correct so it needs to be corrected (which I'll
              do ASAP).

              Lucy

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chuppy Celdran" <chuppy@i...>
              wrote:
              > Can someone please help me translate what this sign means in
              english??
              > thanks
              >
              > chuppy

              Service.

            • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                Teithant Calwen Rudh:
                >Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the
                >new one with the English version: I'd like to ask the
                >others to check the last
                line.
                >Here it is:
                >sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                Mach already mentioned that the 'ng' in 'living' in the last line should
                be nwalme instead of noldo.

                I have a correction on the Sindarin tehta version. _a_ (<_an_) = 'to,
                for' is attested in the King's Letter, version III (_a Pherhael_), to be
                written as a separate word, the short carrier + triple dot tehta, rather
                than as a tehta over the mutated initial vowel. Therefore, _a chuinad_
                should be written as two separate words: short carrier + triple dots /
                hwesta - anna + left curl - númen - ando + triple dots.

                Cuio mae, Danny.
              • Calwen Rudh
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, d_daniel_andries@w... wrote:
                  > Mach already mentioned that the 'ng' in 'living' in the last line
                  should be nwalme instead of noldo.

                  I corrected it already and wanted to post the right pic but failed in
                  Sindarin now :o(

                  > I have a correction on the Sindarin tehta version. _a_ (<_an_)
                  = 'to,
                  > for' is attested in the King's Letter, version III (_a Pherhael_),
                  to be
                  > written as a separate word, the short carrier + triple dot tehta,
                  rather
                  > than as a tehta over the mutated initial vowel. Therefore, _a
                  chuinad_
                  > should be written as two separate words: short carrier + triple
                  dots /
                  > hwesta - anna + left curl - númen - ando + triple dots.

                  That's right. So one more correction ...
                  Thanks a lot.
                  - Lucy
                • Calwen Rudh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                    So, I hope this is all correct; I uploaded a new corrected pic:

                    sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                    Lucy
                  • Chuppy Celdran
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                      hey lucy!! :)
                      thanks so much....they all look cool!!! the thing is that i dont want the words life is for living instead live the present moment, you think you can translate that instead of the the life is for living???
                      thanks
                      chuppy

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 12, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > hey lucy!! :)
                        > ... instead live the present moment, you think you can translate
                        > that instead of the the life is for living???

                        Well, the sentence „life is for living" was for _jeundi_ who asked
                        the Elfscript group in the beginning of December (I guess you are not
                        _jeundi_).

                        The only translation that comes up my mind for _live the present
                        moment_ is: _Cuino hi._ meaning „Live now." – I found no appropriate
                        word for either „present" or „moment" in Sindarin.

                        Maybe the others could suggest something in Quenya (but you should
                        better ask this on another group: Elfling).

                        Further I'd suggest you try to write down the Tengwar yourself since
                        this is not that hard (only two words). I promise it'll be fun and
                        I'll check it after.