Re: [elfscript] tengw?

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      > Im searching a quenya word which goes with tengw-,
      > but which mustnt be "tengwa", to express something
      > as "tengwa-like". Based on "an introduction to
      > elvish", Im thinking about tengwiλ, but Im really
      > not sure about it, because I dont know anything
      > about quenya. Could anybody help me?

      there is an adjectival ending -vea used for -like,
      attested in plural in the word elvie (sg elvea,
      starlike).. so tengwa-like might be tengwea (tengwie
      would be plural) or tengvea...

      it would help if you tell the meaning you intend

    • jonathan wust
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
        Gildor Inglorion wrote:

        >there is an adjectival ending -vea used for -like,
        >attested in plural in the word elvie (sg elvea,
        >starlike).. so tengwa-like might be tengwea (tengwie
        >would be plural) or tengvea...
        >
        >it would help if you tell the meaning you intend

        Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching a name for a writing system based on tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about giving it a High Elven name.

        My problem is that i havnt found any examples of -ngw- + ending (in "an introduction to Elvish" - which doesnt have too many words).

        Are there any evidences for /ngv/ or for /ngwi/ in Quenya? I dont think so.

        What about tengwavea or tenvea?

        Free eMail .... the way it should be....
        http://www.hablas.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
          > Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching
          a name for a writing system based on
          > tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about
          giving it a High Elven name.

          wow are you making another secondary world or a
          Tolkien-fan expansionism? :)

          > My problem is that i havnt found any examples of
          -ngw- + ending (in "an introduction to
          > Elvish" - which doesnt have too many words).

          tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a
          itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
          now (on line, or even the etymologies)

          > Are there any evidences for /ngv/ or for /ngwi/ in
          Quenya? I dont think so.

          ngv not at all, so the form that can be used is
          tengwea, as for ngwi, there is the plural tengwi

          > What about tengwavea or tenvea?

          elvea is consisted of a stem EL without its ending,
          and not **elenvea or something... so tengwa must be
          without its ending before we add -vea... after all a
          Quenya speaker would prefer to merge w with the
          adjacent v

        • jonathan wust
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
            --- Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@...> wrote:

            >> Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching
            >>a name for a writing system based on
            >> tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about
            >>giving it a High Elven name.
            >
            >wow are you making another secondary world or a
            >Tolkien-fan expansionism? :)

            No! I just needed more tyeller (even including the stems enlarged upwards and downwards it wasnt enough), so i included something to the system that looks similar to the esse-tehta. But in no way the system i got can be considered as nice as the real tengwar.

            >tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a
            >itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
            >now (on line, or even the etymologies)

            Thank you very much. Ill choose _tengwesta_ because it sounds really good to me. Its sound remains me the diffrence between the Spanish words _hijo_ (son) and _hijastro_ (stepson) - which fits perfectly with the meaning i intend. I dont think ill have checked out any wordlists, i just trust you.

            thanx again a lot

            choni

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001

               >tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a

              >itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
              >now (on line, or even the etymologies)

              >> Thank you very much. Ill choose _tengwesta_ because it sounds really good to me. Its sound remains me the diffrence between the Spanish words _hijo_ (son) and _hijastro_ (stepson) - which fits perfectly with the meaning i intend. I dont think ill have checked out any wordlists, i just trust you.

              ** I don't remember my original post (has been long ago), but tengwesta means "grammar".. I think I gave you these words as examples of words derived from the stem tengw-

              since you mentioned the difference, it is time to mention that tengwa and tengwesta reminds me of the same analogy with greek "gramma" (letter) and "grammatikee" (grammar) :)