tengw?

  • jonathan wust
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      hulo

      Im searching a quenya word which goes with tengw-, but which mustnt be "tengwa", to express something as "tengwa-like". Based on "an introduction to elvish", Im thinking about tengwi�, but Im really not sure about it, because I dont know anything about quenya. Could anybody help me?

      Thanxalot and yours, J

      Free eMail .... the way it should be....
      http://www.hablas.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        > Im searching a quenya word which goes with tengw-,
        > but which mustnt be "tengwa", to express something
        > as "tengwa-like". Based on "an introduction to
        > elvish", Im thinking about tengwiλ, but Im really
        > not sure about it, because I dont know anything
        > about quenya. Could anybody help me?

        there is an adjectival ending -vea used for -like,
        attested in plural in the word elvie (sg elvea,
        starlike).. so tengwa-like might be tengwea (tengwie
        would be plural) or tengvea...

        it would help if you tell the meaning you intend

      • jonathan wust
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
          Gildor Inglorion wrote:

          >there is an adjectival ending -vea used for -like,
          >attested in plural in the word elvie (sg elvea,
          >starlike).. so tengwa-like might be tengwea (tengwie
          >would be plural) or tengvea...
          >
          >it would help if you tell the meaning you intend

          Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching a name for a writing system based on tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about giving it a High Elven name.

          My problem is that i havnt found any examples of -ngw- + ending (in "an introduction to Elvish" - which doesnt have too many words).

          Are there any evidences for /ngv/ or for /ngwi/ in Quenya? I dont think so.

          What about tengwavea or tenvea?

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
            > Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching
            a name for a writing system based on
            > tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about
            giving it a High Elven name.

            wow are you making another secondary world or a
            Tolkien-fan expansionism? :)

            > My problem is that i havnt found any examples of
            -ngw- + ending (in "an introduction to
            > Elvish" - which doesnt have too many words).

            tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a
            itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
            now (on line, or even the etymologies)

            > Are there any evidences for /ngv/ or for /ngwi/ in
            Quenya? I dont think so.

            ngv not at all, so the form that can be used is
            tengwea, as for ngwi, there is the plural tengwi

            > What about tengwavea or tenvea?

            elvea is consisted of a stem EL without its ending,
            and not **elenvea or something... so tengwa must be
            without its ending before we add -vea... after all a
            Quenya speaker would prefer to merge w with the
            adjacent v

          • jonathan wust
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
              --- Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@...> wrote:

              >> Well, of course, the meaning i intend: Im searching
              >>a name for a writing system based on
              >> tengwar, but which isnt tengwar, and i thought about
              >>giving it a High Elven name.
              >
              >wow are you making another secondary world or a
              >Tolkien-fan expansionism? :)

              No! I just needed more tyeller (even including the stems enlarged upwards and downwards it wasnt enough), so i included something to the system that looks similar to the esse-tehta. But in no way the system i got can be considered as nice as the real tengwar.

              >tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a
              >itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
              >now (on line, or even the etymologies)

              Thank you very much. Ill choose _tengwesta_ because it sounds really good to me. Its sound remains me the diffrence between the Spanish words _hijo_ (son) and _hijastro_ (stepson) - which fits perfectly with the meaning i intend. I dont think ill have checked out any wordlists, i just trust you.

              thanx again a lot

              choni

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001

                 >tere are words like tengwele and tengwesta, and -a

                >itself! i recommend you advise a more recent wordlist
                >now (on line, or even the etymologies)

                >> Thank you very much. Ill choose _tengwesta_ because it sounds really good to me. Its sound remains me the diffrence between the Spanish words _hijo_ (son) and _hijastro_ (stepson) - which fits perfectly with the meaning i intend. I dont think ill have checked out any wordlists, i just trust you.

                ** I don't remember my original post (has been long ago), but tengwesta means "grammar".. I think I gave you these words as examples of words derived from the stem tengw-

                since you mentioned the difference, it is time to mention that tengwa and tengwesta reminds me of the same analogy with greek "gramma" (letter) and "grammatikee" (grammar) :)