Life is for living - pic [was Re: a little translation help ???]

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "jeundi" <jeundi@y...> wrote:
      > I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for
      me
      > (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx

      So, here:

      sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life_2.doc

      you can find what I suggested before: _cuil a chuilad_ although I am
      really not sure whether the Sindarin is correct. I'd sugegst more to
      transcribe the English sentence into Tengwar since it is the safest
      way.

      I tried to transcribe the English sentence into Tengwar but got
      clashed with two different ways of transcribing English _i_ in _life_
      that is pronounced as _ai_. Chris McKey is proposing I-tehta (when I
      follow the example of _time_) but in the KLIII, _wife_ is written
      down with short carrier with 'andaith' and I am confused whether this
      supposes to mean E-tehta above a short carrier or a kind of
      Beleriandic _I_ with andaith that would mean
      prolonging/diphthongizing the vowel. So after I find this out, I
      could maybe help you even with the English one.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 8, 2003
        > I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for me
        (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx

        _Cuil a chuinad_, perhaps? (Hardly _chuilad_ as was also suggested.) The
        verb "is" is left out and understood. The preposition _an_ "for" here
        appears as _a_ + nasal mutation of the following word (which in its basic
        form would be _cuinad_, gerund of _cuina-_ "to live", hence "living").

        - HKF
      • Calwen Rudh
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003

          >_Cuil a chuinad_, perhaps?
          >(Hardly _chuilad_ as was also suggested.)

          Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my mind,
          writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
          suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well. Sorry
          again. Lucy
        • Calwen Rudh
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, I wrote:
            > Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my
            mind,
            > writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
            > suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well.
            Sorry
            > again. Lucy

            Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
            the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
            line.

            Here it is:
            sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

            Lucy
          • Chuppy Celdran
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
              Can you please help me translate what this sign means in english?? thank you

              chuppy
              > Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my
              mind,
              > writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
              > suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well.
              Sorry
              > again. Lucy

              Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
              the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
              line.

              Here it is:
              sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

              Lucy

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Chuppy Celdran
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                Can someone please help me translate what this sign means in english??
                thanks

                chuppy
                > I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for me
                (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx

                _Cuil a chuinad_, perhaps? (Hardly _chuilad_ as was also suggested.) The
                verb "is" is left out and understood. The preposition _an_ "for" here
                appears as _a_ + nasal mutation of the following word (which in its basic
                form would be _cuinad_, gerund of _cuina-_ "to live", hence "living").

                - HKF

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • mach
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                  Lucy wrote:
                  > Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
                  > the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
                  > line.
                  >
                  > Here it is:
                  > sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                  You've spelt _living_ with noldo, but in Tolkien's English modes, it should
                  be spelt with nwalme, since all attested English modes use the quessetéma
                  for velars (k-series), while the calmatéma is used for palatalveolars
                  (ch[tsh]-series).

                  You've spelt _is_ with esse nuquerna. This follows the phonetic
                  representation of voiced final consonants as seen in the orthographic mode
                  of the Brogan Tengwa Greetings (where the word _is_ is actually attested).
                  I'd suggest, however, to follow rather the King's Letters that represent
                  final consonants according to Traditional English Spelling, i.e., I'd
                  suggest _is_ to be spelt with silme nuquerna.

                  And you call that mode the "Common English Mode". I wouldn't use this term.
                  I think it isn't based but on Dan Smith's use. I highly appreciate his work,
                  but who could decide which English mode is "common"? This term isn't used by
                  Tolkien. I'd rather suggest a term that describes the mode, e.g.
                  "orthographic English tehtar mode", or "orthographic English general use".

                  suilaid
                  mach
                • Calwen Rudh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                    First line is in Sindarin and it reads: _cuil a chuinad_ and in
                    English it means _life for living_ (Sindarin very seldom uses
                    verb „to be" that's why it is missing here). The signs are these of
                    Tengwar.

                    Second line reads the same as the first line (_cuil a chuinad_) but
                    in a different style.

                    Third line was supposed to be English _life is for living_ but the
                    transcription is NOT correct so it needs to be corrected (which I'll
                    do ASAP).

                    Lucy

                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chuppy Celdran" <chuppy@i...>
                    wrote:
                    > Can someone please help me translate what this sign means in
                    english??
                    > thanks
                    >
                    > chuppy

                    Service.

                  • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                      Teithant Calwen Rudh:
                      >Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the
                      >new one with the English version: I'd like to ask the
                      >others to check the last
                      line.
                      >Here it is:
                      >sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                      Mach already mentioned that the 'ng' in 'living' in the last line should
                      be nwalme instead of noldo.

                      I have a correction on the Sindarin tehta version. _a_ (<_an_) = 'to,
                      for' is attested in the King's Letter, version III (_a Pherhael_), to be
                      written as a separate word, the short carrier + triple dot tehta, rather
                      than as a tehta over the mutated initial vowel. Therefore, _a chuinad_
                      should be written as two separate words: short carrier + triple dots /
                      hwesta - anna + left curl - númen - ando + triple dots.

                      Cuio mae, Danny.
                    • Calwen Rudh
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, d_daniel_andries@w... wrote:
                        > Mach already mentioned that the 'ng' in 'living' in the last line
                        should be nwalme instead of noldo.

                        I corrected it already and wanted to post the right pic but failed in
                        Sindarin now :o(

                        > I have a correction on the Sindarin tehta version. _a_ (<_an_)
                        = 'to,
                        > for' is attested in the King's Letter, version III (_a Pherhael_),
                        to be
                        > written as a separate word, the short carrier + triple dot tehta,
                        rather
                        > than as a tehta over the mutated initial vowel. Therefore, _a
                        chuinad_
                        > should be written as two separate words: short carrier + triple
                        dots /
                        > hwesta - anna + left curl - númen - ando + triple dots.

                        That's right. So one more correction ...
                        Thanks a lot.
                        - Lucy
                      • Calwen Rudh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                          So, I hope this is all correct; I uploaded a new corrected pic:

                          sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                          Lucy
                        • Chuppy Celdran
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                            hey lucy!! :)
                            thanks so much....they all look cool!!! the thing is that i dont want the words life is for living instead live the present moment, you think you can translate that instead of the the life is for living???
                            thanks
                            chuppy

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 12, 2003
                              wrote:
                              > hey lucy!! :)
                              > ... instead live the present moment, you think you can translate
                              > that instead of the the life is for living???

                              Well, the sentence „life is for living" was for _jeundi_ who asked
                              the Elfscript group in the beginning of December (I guess you are not
                              _jeundi_).

                              The only translation that comes up my mind for _live the present
                              moment_ is: _Cuino hi._ meaning „Live now." – I found no appropriate
                              word for either „present" or „moment" in Sindarin.

                              Maybe the others could suggest something in Quenya (but you should
                              better ask this on another group: Elfling).

                              Further I'd suggest you try to write down the Tengwar yourself since
                              this is not that hard (only two words). I promise it'll be fun and
                              I'll check it after.