Re: translation question

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chuppy Celdran" <chuppy@i...>
      wrote:
      > thanks for your help, you think you can translate that into the
      sign used not the word??

      I am not sure that I understood your question... You want the
      English sentence transcribed in Tengwar or that Sindarin attempt
      transcribed in Tengwar? Or even something else?

      Lucy
    • Calwen Rudh
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
        I wrote:
        > Why can it be _Ú-pain i reviar ... _

        Let's see ... hmmm ... oh, sure: where's the lenition after _ú-_,
        Lucy?

        So: _Ú-bain i reviar ..._

        Sorry. Lucy
      • spinster core
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
          I honestly was not ignoring anyone's advice/suggestions. I did not
          get said advice until one day after I posted my second question.

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Calwen Rudh" <calwen.rudh@s...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2003
            Chuppy Celdran wrote:

            > thanks for your help, you think you can translate that into the sign used
            not the word??

            This code will produce _Pain i reviar ú-vistar_ in the Mode of Beleriand:

            q]Õ6 ` 7lr`]7 .Fr`81]7

            Perhaps you want a tehta mode instead?

            One uncertain point: since the V of _ú-vistar_ is a lenited form of M (the
            unlenited verbal stem being _mista-_), some would prefer to use a special
            form of the sign for M, as in the King's Letter. In the Mode of Beleriand,
            this would probably be a modified form of Vala (since in this mode, Malta
            denotes a _double_ MM). But then the whole thing becomes somewhat
            speculative.

            Lucy wrote:

            > Are you sure that "Not all who wander [do] stray." and "All who wander
            do not stray." are the same?

            No, but the meaning of the original poem is clearly that NOT all who
            "wander" (i.e. the Dúnedain rangers to whom Aragorn belongs) are lost
            (they "wander" intentionally, i.e. function as rangers -- not planlessly or
            involuntarily but for a purpose, and hence are not "lost" as other
            wanderers in the wild may be).

            - HKF