Re: question on ned 'wilith

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, d_daniel_andries@w... wrote:
      > My belief is that the gasdil would
      > be written with anca in the mode of Beleriand, so _'wilith_ should
      be
      > spelt: anca + following 'w' tehta - short carrier - lambe - short
      > carrier - thúle. Of course, this is just my opinion. However, it is
      > also my opinion that the mode of Beleriand is not really
      appropriate for
      > a quote of Galadriel, and the quote from the movie isn't
      grammatically
      > accurate, e.g. 'in the air' should be _vi gwilith_, among other
      things.

      I agree with all three points (anca usage, the chosen mode and the
      translation). Just a little question: I believe that even Beleriand
      mode can use quessetéma (as well as the nowhere-seen tehta mode for
      Sindarin), so would it be okay to start with unque that would then
      represent _'w_? My point is that additional tehtar are used for
      shortening, so writing the sentence in full should be no mistake.

      Lucy
    • mach
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        My belief is that it's safer not to transcribe the gasdil at all as long as
        we don't know what the gasdil is. So I'd suggest to use the simple _w_ sign,
        vilya or vala, depending on the mode. I wouldn't use the sign for following
        _w_ but within a word.

        If the gasdil were represented by the _gh_ sign (anca or unque), then why
        wouldn't Tolkien write _gh_ instead of _'_?

        The gasdil is the mute sign of the k-series. We actually have a mute sign of
        the k-series attested: However, it's not an anto-tyelle letter (like anca,
        unque) but an óre-tyelle letter, anna, in the classical Quenya mode. In the
        mode of Beleriand, however, that letter represents _o_.

        In the probably mannish Sindarin modes of the King's Letters, the óre-tyelle
        letter of the k-series, vilya, is unused, so this could be a gasdil letter.
        It wouldn't surprise me if the gasdil weren't used but by men, who are
        probably less fluent in Sindarin than the Elves. After all, it's only a
        reminder that there's been consonant mutation, and I don't think that an Elf
        who speaks Sindarin fluently would need such a reminder.

        Of course, it might be the other way round: Men could spell according to
        pronunciation (without gasdil) and Elves according to etymology (with
        gasdil). This might be suggested by the discrepancy between the claims for
        etymological spelling in app. E and the phonetical spelling in the attested
        tengwar texts (e.g. regarding the spelling of Q _thúle/súle, ngoldo/noldo_):
        The claim in app. E might refer to elvish use (but why?) while the attested
        texts might be written by men.

        "Gasdil" might also be the name applied to the simple _g_ letter when it's
        not pronounced. In the Moria gate inscription, at least, the mutations
        aren't represented in the spelling (it's _ennyn durin_ not _dhurin_; _aran
        moria_ not _voria_; etc.). As far as I know, however, the other text written
        in the mode of Beleriand transcribes the mutations, the Aerlinn in Edhil
        (DTS 21). (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

        Is there really no instance of a _g_ dropped by mutation in the attested
        texts?

        As to Lucy's suggestion of unque: If we suppose that there are Sindarin
        modes that use the quesse-téma for labiovelars, and if we suppose that a _g_
        dropped by mutation is represented with a letter of the anto-tyelle, then
        it's okay to use unque for _'w_. But isn't this too much of speculation?

        Danny wrote:
        > However, it is also my opinion that the mode of Beleriand is not really
        > appropriate for a quote of Galadriel

        I suppose you have some reason for this interesting opinion, have you?

        suilaid
        mach
      • Calwen Rudh
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, mach <machhezan@g...> wrote:
          > My belief is that it's safer not to transcribe the gasdil at all
          as long as
          > we don't know what the gasdil is. So I'd suggest to use the simple
          _w_ sign,
          > vilya or vala, depending on the mode. I wouldn't use the sign for
          following
          > _w_ but within a word.
          >
          > If the gasdil were represented by the _gh_ sign (anca or unque),
          then why
          > wouldn't Tolkien write _gh_ instead of _'_? ...

          It is not explicitly said that gasdil has to be a sign in Tengwar as
          far as I understand what is written in Etymologies in the entry
          Gorgoroth. I think that _gasdil_ is a Sindarin word for
          English "apostrophe", Czech "apostrof", French "apostrophe" etc. As
          Moradan first explained in the Elfscript message #26370:

          > Don't forget that 'g' is lenited to 'gh' and then transformed in an
          > apostrophe by simple assimilation of the consonant. 'gh' is a
          > sound non existing in English that can be found in Arabian and is
          > like a very soft 'g' without the plosive efect of English 'g'.
          > This sound is so weak that disapears.

          > Besides, we have proof that 'd' lenites to 'dh' and in tengwar it
          > results in the rising of the stem of the symol. 'b' gets lenited
          > to 'v' and this also happens by the lifting of the stem. Therefore
          > if you follow these two patterns you can conclude that the symbol
          > for lenited 'g', though not pronounced, should still be the 'g'
          > with the stem lifted.

          And I agree.

          Lucy
        • Benct Philip Jonsson
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
            At 20:12 3.12.2003, elfscript@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:59:49 -0600 (CST)
            > From: d_daniel_andries@...
            >Subject: Re: question on ned 'wilith

            >My belief is that the gasdil would
            >be written with anca in the mode of Beleriand, so _'wilith_ should be
            >spelt: anca + following 'w' tehta

            Why not Unque? Cf. <http://www.melroch.se/tengwar/omasind/omasind.pdf>
            (or <http://www.melroch.se/tengwar/omasind/omasind.png>

            /BP 8^)
            --
            B.Philip Jonsson mailto:melrochX@... (delete X)
            A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2003
              Danny wrote:
              > if it were written as 'gh', we would tend to pronounce it as
              > 'gh'. The Romanised spelling sometimes reflects pronunciation rather
              > than orthography.

              That's a good point.

              And you're also right that the elves would rather tend to show etymology in
              their spelling, so that the notes in app. E would refer to elvish use. So
              the attested, rather phonetic samples would be mannish. Men: phonetic ­
              Elves: etymologic.

              Therefore, in a mannish Sindarin mode (like the King's Letter mode) the
              gasdil is likely not to be represented (and I'm not trying to do more than a
              man can do).

              Danny wrote that in _ennyn durin aran moria_:

              > _Durin_ and _Moria_ are not mutated.

              Thanks for correcting me, I didn't know that.

              > I've never supposed there to be a Sindarin mode that represented
              > labiovelars as separate tengwar. This is based on Tolkien's words
              > concerning cirth #23 - 28: '...were actually most probably inventions of
              > the Noldor of Eregion, since they were used for the representationof
              > sounds not found in Sindarin.' (App. E) Well, certainly 'gw', 'chw' and
              > 'ngw' existed in Sindarin, but the quote suggests to my mind that the
              > Sindar didn't consider them to be units separate from the simple velars,
              > not enough to warrant their own signs, anyway.

              Excellent argument!

              > If Sindarin labiovelars
              > weren't represented by a separate series in the Cirth, why would it be
              > different in the Tengwar?

              Well, maybe just because the tengwar provided letters for these sounds?

              As I asked Danny for a reason why he opined "that the mode of Beleriand
              wasn't really appropiate for a quote of Galadriel", he answered:

              > Nothing especially profound. I am of the opinion that the mode of
              > Beleriand was invented and used by the Noldor of Beleriand, or in areas
              > where the High Elves exerted a considerable influence (e.g. Eregion and
              > Imladris). This influence would likely not greatly affect the Silvan
              > Elves of Lothlórien, though Galadriel was half-Noldorin.

              I'd also say that it were Noldorin loremasters who invented the mode of
              Beleriand. But more than this, I'd think that they invented all Eldarin
              modes (while the King's Letter modes are, I'd think, rather mannish).

              Which Sindar would develop a tengwar mode? The Sindar of Doriath? I don't
              think that they'd adopt the script invented by Feanor. Indeed, Daeron is
              said to have rearranged the cirth, which seems to be a conservative reaction
              against the growing influence of the tengwar, kind of orthography politics.
              The Sindar of the Falas? The Sindar of Gondolin? I have no idea. But I'm
              quite sure: If the Silvan Elves would use another mode than the one used in
              Eregion and Imladrist, then that other mode wouldn't be their own invention,
              but taken from other Sindar. I just don't think that the wood elves would
              care about writing.

              suilaid
              mach