a little translation help ???

  • jeundi
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
      I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for me
      (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx
    • Calwen Rudh
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "jeundi" <jeundi@y...> wrote:
        > I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for
        me
        > (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx

        So, here:

        sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life_2.doc

        you can find what I suggested before: _cuil a chuilad_ although I am
        really not sure whether the Sindarin is correct. I'd sugegst more to
        transcribe the English sentence into Tengwar since it is the safest
        way.

        I tried to transcribe the English sentence into Tengwar but got
        clashed with two different ways of transcribing English _i_ in _life_
        that is pronounced as _ai_. Chris McKey is proposing I-tehta (when I
        follow the example of _time_) but in the KLIII, _wife_ is written
        down with short carrier with 'andaith' and I am confused whether this
        supposes to mean E-tehta above a short carrier or a kind of
        Beleriandic _I_ with andaith that would mean
        prolonging/diphthongizing the vowel. So after I find this out, I
        could maybe help you even with the English one.

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 8, 2003
          > I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for me
          (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx

          _Cuil a chuinad_, perhaps? (Hardly _chuilad_ as was also suggested.) The
          verb "is" is left out and understood. The preposition _an_ "for" here
          appears as _a_ + nasal mutation of the following word (which in its basic
          form would be _cuinad_, gerund of _cuina-_ "to live", hence "living").

          - HKF
        • Calwen Rudh
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003

            >_Cuil a chuinad_, perhaps?
            >(Hardly _chuilad_ as was also suggested.)

            Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my mind,
            writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
            suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well. Sorry
            again. Lucy
          • Calwen Rudh
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9, 2003
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, I wrote:
              > Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my
              mind,
              > writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
              > suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well.
              Sorry
              > again. Lucy

              Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
              the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
              line.

              Here it is:
              sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

              Lucy
            • Chuppy Celdran
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                Can you please help me translate what this sign means in english?? thank you

                chuppy
                > Oh, that hurts. My so stupid mistake. Having _chui(n)ad_ in my
                mind,
                > writing _chuilad_. Sorry for this. Now I'm opening the tengwar
                > suggested and ... oh no, lambe... I screwed this one as well.
                Sorry
                > again. Lucy

                Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
                the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
                line.

                Here it is:
                sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                Lucy

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Chuppy Celdran
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                  Can someone please help me translate what this sign means in english??
                  thanks

                  chuppy
                  > I was wondering if someone could translate this into sindarian for me
                  (its for a friends tattoo) "life is for living" ...thanx

                  _Cuil a chuinad_, perhaps? (Hardly _chuilad_ as was also suggested.) The
                  verb "is" is left out and understood. The preposition _an_ "for" here
                  appears as _a_ + nasal mutation of the following word (which in its basic
                  form would be _cuinad_, gerund of _cuina-_ "to live", hence "living").

                  - HKF

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • mach
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                    Lucy wrote:
                    > Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the new one with
                    > the English version: I'd like to ask the others to check the last
                    > line.
                    >
                    > Here it is:
                    > sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                    You've spelt _living_ with noldo, but in Tolkien's English modes, it should
                    be spelt with nwalme, since all attested English modes use the quessetéma
                    for velars (k-series), while the calmatéma is used for palatalveolars
                    (ch[tsh]-series).

                    You've spelt _is_ with esse nuquerna. This follows the phonetic
                    representation of voiced final consonants as seen in the orthographic mode
                    of the Brogan Tengwa Greetings (where the word _is_ is actually attested).
                    I'd suggest, however, to follow rather the King's Letters that represent
                    final consonants according to Traditional English Spelling, i.e., I'd
                    suggest _is_ to be spelt with silme nuquerna.

                    And you call that mode the "Common English Mode". I wouldn't use this term.
                    I think it isn't based but on Dan Smith's use. I highly appreciate his work,
                    but who could decide which English mode is "common"? This term isn't used by
                    Tolkien. I'd rather suggest a term that describes the mode, e.g.
                    "orthographic English tehtar mode", or "orthographic English general use".

                    suilaid
                    mach
                  • Calwen Rudh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                      First line is in Sindarin and it reads: _cuil a chuinad_ and in
                      English it means _life for living_ (Sindarin very seldom uses
                      verb „to be" that's why it is missing here). The signs are these of
                      Tengwar.

                      Second line reads the same as the first line (_cuil a chuinad_) but
                      in a different style.

                      Third line was supposed to be English _life is for living_ but the
                      transcription is NOT correct so it needs to be corrected (which I'll
                      do ASAP).

                      Lucy

                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chuppy Celdran" <chuppy@i...>
                      wrote:
                      > Can someone please help me translate what this sign means in
                      english??
                      > thanks
                      >
                      > chuppy

                      Service.

                    • d_daniel_andries@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                        Teithant Calwen Rudh:
                        >Trying to remedy the pic and info I gave, here is the
                        >new one with the English version: I'd like to ask the
                        >others to check the last
                        line.
                        >Here it is:
                        >sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                        Mach already mentioned that the 'ng' in 'living' in the last line should
                        be nwalme instead of noldo.

                        I have a correction on the Sindarin tehta version. _a_ (<_an_) = 'to,
                        for' is attested in the King's Letter, version III (_a Pherhael_), to be
                        written as a separate word, the short carrier + triple dot tehta, rather
                        than as a tehta over the mutated initial vowel. Therefore, _a chuinad_
                        should be written as two separate words: short carrier + triple dots /
                        hwesta - anna + left curl - númen - ando + triple dots.

                        Cuio mae, Danny.
                      • Calwen Rudh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 10, 2003
                          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, d_daniel_andries@w... wrote:
                          > Mach already mentioned that the 'ng' in 'living' in the last line
                          should be nwalme instead of noldo.

                          I corrected it already and wanted to post the right pic but failed in
                          Sindarin now :o(

                          > I have a correction on the Sindarin tehta version. _a_ (<_an_)
                          = 'to,
                          > for' is attested in the King's Letter, version III (_a Pherhael_),
                          to be
                          > written as a separate word, the short carrier + triple dot tehta,
                          rather
                          > than as a tehta over the mutated initial vowel. Therefore, _a
                          chuinad_
                          > should be written as two separate words: short carrier + triple
                          dots /
                          > hwesta - anna + left curl - númen - ando + triple dots.

                          That's right. So one more correction ...
                          Thanks a lot.
                          - Lucy
                        • Calwen Rudh
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                            So, I hope this is all correct; I uploaded a new corrected pic:

                            sweb.cz/lucie.hola/life.htm

                            Lucy
                          • Chuppy Celdran
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 11, 2003
                              hey lucy!! :)
                              thanks so much....they all look cool!!! the thing is that i dont want the words life is for living instead live the present moment, you think you can translate that instead of the the life is for living???
                              thanks
                              chuppy

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 12, 2003
                                wrote:
                                > hey lucy!! :)
                                > ... instead live the present moment, you think you can translate
                                > that instead of the the life is for living???

                                Well, the sentence „life is for living" was for _jeundi_ who asked
                                the Elfscript group in the beginning of December (I guess you are not
                                _jeundi_).

                                The only translation that comes up my mind for _live the present
                                moment_ is: _Cuino hi._ meaning „Live now." – I found no appropriate
                                word for either „present" or „moment" in Sindarin.

                                Maybe the others could suggest something in Quenya (but you should
                                better ask this on another group: Elfling).

                                Further I'd suggest you try to write down the Tengwar yourself since
                                this is not that hard (only two words). I promise it'll be fun and
                                I'll check it after.