Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
      wrote:
      > After all, if none of these things concern "Idril", if all she
      really
      > wants it to have something pretty-looking permanently etched into
      her
      > skin, then why not just transliterate the English phrase into
      Tengwar?

      Well this was in my mind too. To be honest I don't much understand
      people who want to get an English (or other language) sentence in
      Sindarin tattood in Tengwar without knowing a piece of Sindarin
      itself. I wouldn't e.g. get a tattoo of wind in Svahili transcribed
      in Japanese signs although Svahili seems very exotic to me and I like
      the look of Japanese signs. But it doesn't mean I don'T want to help.
      It is their choice.

      Ok, Idril, so why don'T you get your sentence in English in Tengwar
      when we can't give you a good translation into Sindarin? :o)

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
        Carl F. Hostetter wote:

        > My only "DIRECT" advice is to not use _deri_, since it clearly does not
        have the desired meaning (in fact, has pretty much the opposite of the
        desired meaning in this case). Offhand, I can't think of a verb that does
        have the desired meaning -- again, "to continue to be" (something) -- so
        unless someone can suggest such a verb, I would otherwise advise you either
        to paraphrase,

        Some kind of paraphrase is the obvious solution here. If we assume that
        _le_ can function as subject "you", then "you remain" (etc.) can be
        rendered as _le him_, literally "you [are] continually" or "you're still
        [my pleasure, my pain or whatever]". See the entry KHIM in the Etymologies
        for the adverb _him_.

        - HKF