Re: [elfscript] Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
      On Dec 2, 2003, at 4:06 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

      > One little question in the end: were we of any help to Idril? I guess
      > not. And that doesn't please me.

      I think it is quite a bit of help -- whether the person being so helped
      realizes it or not -- to show what the actual nature of Tolkien's
      languages is, and how language in general actually works, and the
      pitfalls of attempting to "speak" a poorly-attested language.

      After all, if none of these things concern "Idril", if all she really
      wants it to have something pretty-looking permanently etched into her
      skin, then why not just transliterate the English phrase into Tengwar?

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • Calwen Rudh
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
        wrote:
        > After all, if none of these things concern "Idril", if all she
        really
        > wants it to have something pretty-looking permanently etched into
        her
        > skin, then why not just transliterate the English phrase into
        Tengwar?

        Well this was in my mind too. To be honest I don't much understand
        people who want to get an English (or other language) sentence in
        Sindarin tattood in Tengwar without knowing a piece of Sindarin
        itself. I wouldn't e.g. get a tattoo of wind in Svahili transcribed
        in Japanese signs although Svahili seems very exotic to me and I like
        the look of Japanese signs. But it doesn't mean I don'T want to help.
        It is their choice.

        Ok, Idril, so why don'T you get your sentence in English in Tengwar
        when we can't give you a good translation into Sindarin? :o)

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
          Carl F. Hostetter wote:

          > My only "DIRECT" advice is to not use _deri_, since it clearly does not
          have the desired meaning (in fact, has pretty much the opposite of the
          desired meaning in this case). Offhand, I can't think of a verb that does
          have the desired meaning -- again, "to continue to be" (something) -- so
          unless someone can suggest such a verb, I would otherwise advise you either
          to paraphrase,

          Some kind of paraphrase is the obvious solution here. If we assume that
          _le_ can function as subject "you", then "you remain" (etc.) can be
          rendered as _le him_, literally "you [are] continually" or "you're still
          [my pleasure, my pain or whatever]". See the entry KHIM in the Etymologies
          for the adverb _him_.

          - HKF