Name translation

  • Antoine Khater
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
      I am still trying to translate the name Marie-Ange to Elvish (Sindarin) so I
      found Angel : Ainu Marie : Sárie so textually speaking Marie-Ange should be
      Sárie-Ainu is this close enough?

      Regards,

    • aphadiol
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Antoine Khater" <tony@m...> wrote:
        > I am still trying to translate the name Marie-Ange to Elvish
        (Sindarin) so I
        > found Angel : Ainu Marie : Sárie so textually speaking Marie-Ange
        should be
        > Sárie-Ainu is this close enough?

        Well as far as I know 'ainu' is a quenya word...
        Try 'rodon' (power, Vala) for 'Angel'

        > Regards,

      • Antoine Khater
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5, 2003
          U mean that Ainu is quenya word for Angel and rodon is the sindaring word?

          _____

          > I am still trying to translate the name Marie-Ange to Elvish
          (Sindarin) so I
          > found Angel : Ainu Marie : Sárie so textually speaking Marie-Ange
          should be
          > Sárie-Ainu is this close enough?

          Well as far as I know 'ainu' is a quenya word...
          Try 'rodon' (power, Vala) for 'Angel'

          > Regards,

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cm557fr/M=266846.4063241.5347241.1261774/D=egroup
          web/S=1705218811:HM/EXP=1070704957/A=1844976/R=2/id=noscript/*http:/www.merc
          hantservicesinfo.com/trackerC.asp?ad=121&id=CD72&did=0>

          <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/la/landmark/300x250_static.gif>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=266846.4063241.5347241.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1844976/rand=775847973>

        • aphadiol
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2003
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Antoine Khater" <tony@m...> wrote:
            > U mean that Ainu is quenya word for Angel and rodon is the
            sindaring word?

            Yes. It's a quenya word meaning 'holy one' while Rodon means "Vala,
            Power" in sindarin

            The full entry in Híswelókë dictionary:

            "Rodon (pl Rodyn)n. Vala, divinity Ø LotR/D Ô OS
            *(a)råto(ndo) "noble one", CE *arâtô
            ((A)R1-AT)."
          • aranelwen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2004
              Mae Govannen!

              Im Aranelwen,
              but my real name means 'princess full of grace. I visited a site
              linked to Ardalambion and I understand that 'princess' is 'aranel'
              (I'm guessing it's Sindarin). As for 'grace', I can't find a direct
              translation anywhere. Does anyone know different?
              Anyway, I settled for 'wen' which I believe means 'maid', though I
              have seen translated as 'fair' also.

              I have been interested in Tolkien's languages ever since I can
              remember (and I'm a third-generation fan!) I deciphered the
              runes around the dustjacket of The Hobbit when I was about 15,
              began learning about the Elven tongues soon after. I love the
              look of the Tengwar and devised a system to use them for
              English (most were not far off true) when writing love letters to
              my now husband! (I think he's since forgotten!) Later I used a
              closer to true variant within a Live Roleplay game (well, I just had
              to be an Elf! Made my own ears, too: I have a degree in
              modelmaking).
              I have been collecting Sindarin words am am slowly teaching
              myself. I am compiling a Sindarin Dictionary, in a somewhat
              unscholarly fashion: no references, I am using material from the
              films and am aware that some is conjectural, but my aim is to
              eventually compose a poem.
              I've just learned to write Sindarin properly, with tengwar & tehta
              and composed a really good tune to A Elbereth (a good two or
              three years before the films, though it shares the notes for that
              phrase!)

              I hope to make a few 'mellonath' and to expand my
              understanding of Sindarin; one day I'll brave Quenya also!

              Mae Govannen,

              Aranelwen~
            • Raewen Silverfang
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
                I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first and
                middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have this
                tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I came up
                with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any help is
                much appreciated!
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
                  > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and
                  > translated I came up
                  > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a
                  > mistake? Any help is
                  > much appreciated!

                  The page you consulted is mostly acceptable, but they
                  are Quenya, not Sindarin :)

                • Raewen Silverfang
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
                    That works out best for me as I prefer Quenya - I just noticed as I
                    was looking up the middle name that the author mentioned Marie was in
                    Sindarin, not Quenya. Here's what it says on the middle name:

                    MARY, MARIA - perhaps Heb. 'bitterness'; sára "bitter", so Sáre or
                    Sárie; I was suggested that Marie may also mean "frieng" (from
                    Gaelic) which would be Nilde and Mellon in Sindarin

                    Thanks much for your help! :)

                    > > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and
                    > > translated I came up
                    > > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a
                    > > mistake? Any help is
                    > > much appreciated!
                    >
                    > The page you consulted is mostly acceptable, but they
                    > are Quenya, not Sindarin :)

                  • laurifindil
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang" <burnt_cupcake@h...>
                      wrote:

                      > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first and
                      > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have this
                      > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I came up
                      > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any help is
                      > much appreciated!

                      Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk and "translated" or "adatpted"
                      the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve
                      seen ?

                      Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and say :

                      -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish. Yea, the true Elvish
                      made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is a good one. And I
                      know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!

                      Would you beleive the dude ?

                      How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet has written about
                      an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".

                      Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book about Tolkien's
                      Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about Elvish that me ?
                      Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with me (like "pretending
                      they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?

                      Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you think is best.

                      ejk
                    • Raewen Silverfang
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                        First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
                        person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
                        tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
                        and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
                        site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
                        someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
                        looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
                        seeking help, not condescending attacks.

                        "Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
                        and "translated" or "adatpted" the entire list of thousand English
                        Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve seen ?" -- No, I was
                        quite aware that it was written by a Tolkien fan and had it been
                        written by Tolkien himself, I would have had no need to come to this
                        message board for opinions. Unlike you seem to think, not everyone
                        on this board is out to get me. There are plenty of people who are
                        very knowledgable about the languages. And no, I didn't just run out
                        and see the movies and said "I want a tattoo in Elvish!". I've read
                        the books multiple times and have been a fan for years. I've also
                        contemplated the tattoo for years and am just attempting to get some
                        opinions. I don't wish to continue this any further so I'm ending
                        this here.

                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

                        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang"
                        <burnt_cupcake@h...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first
                        and
                        > > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have
                        this
                        > > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I
                        came up
                        > > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any
                        help is
                        > > much appreciated!
                        >

                        > Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
                        and "translated" or "adatpted"
                        > the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his
                        languages you ahve
                        > seen ?
                        >
                        > Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and
                        say :

                        > -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish.
                        Yea, the true Elvish
                        > made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is
                        a good one. And I
                        > know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!
                        >
                        > Would you beleive the dude ?
                        >
                        > How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet
                        has written about
                        > an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".
                        >
                        > Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book
                        about Tolkien's
                        > Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about
                        Elvish that me ?
                        > Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with
                        me (like "pretending
                        > they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?
                        >
                        > Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you
                        think is best.

                        > ejk
                      • j_mach_wust
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
                          <burnt_cupcake@h...> wrote:

                          > First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
                          > person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
                          > tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
                          > and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
                          > site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
                          > someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
                          > looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
                          > seeking help, not condescending attacks.

                          I'm sorry you've stepped on him; unfortunately, he does that from time
                          to time.

                          To work out a translation, you may get more help on
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/ since this list is only about
                          the scripts (theoretically), not about the languages - so you will be
                          more on-topic once you've chosen a precise wording and work on the
                          transcription into Elvish script. As I don't know much about Elvish
                          languages, I use to advise to transcribe rather an English language
                          sentence than an Elvish language sentence.

                        • Raewen Silverfang
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
                            Thanks very much for the link, it's much appreciated. I was pointed
                            to this message board by a friend but makes sense I should be over
                            there instead of on a script message board :) As for my last message,
                            I wasn't trying to get an argument started so I apologize if what I
                            wrote seemed a bit hostile. Thanks again.

                            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>