Re: [elfscript] Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Idril Celebrindal
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2003
      well, actually i tried translating this already using dragon flame. although there is no direct translation to "pleasure", i substituted it with "desire" instead. i'm still having a bit of trouble with the grammar, since some sources tend to be inconsistent.. help..

      idril

      laurifindil <ejk@...> wrote:
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Idril Celebrindal
      <idrililluminati@y...> wrote:
      > umm.. hi ^^
      >
      > i was just wondering if anyone could help me in translating this:
      >
      > "you remain my power, my pleasure, my pain" (yes, yes, it's from "kiss from a rose" by seal..)

      it is not possible to learn Tolkien's Elvish languages just as any
      natural language, such as French or Russian.

      You can study Tolkien's Elvish languages.

      Begin with appendixes E and F of the "Lord of Rings". Then, continue by
      reading the linguistic appendix of " Silmarillion ". Then, you will be
      able to read the very instructive " Quendi and Eldar - Essekenta
      Eldarinwa ", published in " The War of the Jewels ". Then, "Lammas" in
      "The Lost Road ", then go for "Etymologies" in the same book. Then you
      will be able of distinguish, without too much help, Sindarin from
      Quenya.
      For Sindarin Grammar, start with "Our Father" in Vinyar tengwar.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Calwen Rudh
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi Idril,

        I'd suggest this translation although I think it would be better if
        you do this yourself - this was not "so hard":
        _Derich i 'orf niin, i 'lass niin, i naeg niin_
        "[You] remain the vigor my, the joy my, the pain my"

        Vocabulary:
        *derich -- "[you] remain": 2 ps sg, stem _dar-_, the pronominal
        ending (assumed): _-ich_, the _-i-_ in this ending causes umlaut in
        the previous syllable and changes A to E
        *i 'orf niin -- "the vigour my": Sindarin puts the adjectives and
        pronouns after the noun; _i_ is the singular definite article that
        causes lenition of the initial letter of the following noun and
        changes G (from original _gorf_ "vigor") to zero that is represented
        by an apostrophe (though _i 'orf_ "the vigor"); the double vowel _i_
        in _niin_ supposes to mean long vowel (_i_ with an accent), I dare
        not to put this character in the computer although we have this
        letter in my native tongue :o) for it can cause some problems.
        *i 'lass niin -- "the joy my": for the lenition, see the previous
        explanation; the original is _glass_ "joy", which is I think better
        than "desire" - BTW we don't have this latter word given by Tolkien
        either
        *i naeg niin -- "the pain my": the letter N is not seen to undergo
        lenition, so it remains the same even after the definite article

        I've chosen to use definite articles since I guess the given nouns
        are not definite enough without them. Remember that the F in _i 'orf_
        is pronounced as V since it's at the end of the word (that's why it's
        transcribed with ampa, not formen).

        That's it for the translation into Sindarin. Be aware that mainly the
        verb is not sure since the ending for singular "you" is not attested,
        only assumed. And even this translation may be found as wrong for
        others reading it.

        Now the transcription:

        If you want to transcribe this in Beleriand mode, then write:
        ×ando - yanta - romen - short carrier - harma× for _DERICH_
        ×short carrier - SPACE - anca (or nothing)* - anna - romen - ampa×
        for _I 'ORF_
        ×ore - short carrier with andaith (accent) above it - ore× for _NIIN_
        ×short carrier - SPACE - anca (or nothing)* - lambe - aze/esse/are
        (all of this is one letter but it has three names)× for _I 'LASS_,
        add the third row for _NIIN_
        ×short carrier - SPACE - ore - A letter (looks like small Roman _c_) -
        yanta - anga× (OR the diphthong AE could be written as A letter and
        a circumflex-like sign above it) for _I NAEG_ -- don't forget to add
        _NIIN_ at the end
        -------
        *some guys recommend to use no letter instead of the apostrophe
        because we don't know what is its value in Tengwar but I recommend to
        note this loss of a consonant down by anca that was once _gh_ sound
        that later disappeared and is written with the apostrophe "nowadays".
        The loss of a consonant process is described as gh -> 3 -> 0 (_'_),
        so my recommendation has its reason. The problem begins with the
        fact that we have no evidence of usage of this letter/these letters
        given by Tolkien.
        -------

        If you want the tehta mode, it is more complicated: there is no sure
        instruction how to write in Sindarin tehta mode, we have nothing but
        Tehta mode for Gondor. However, I believe there is a Sindarin tehta
        mode - I will show you both so you can choose:

        1) Sindarin tehta mode:
        DERICH: ando - romen with E-tehta above it - harma with I-tehta over
        it
        I 'ORF NIIN: anca with I-tehta over it - romen with O-tehta over it -
        ampa SPACE numen - long carrier - numen
        I 'LASS NIIN: anca with I-tehta above it - lambe - aze nuquerna with
        A-tehta over it SPACE numen - long carrier - numen
        I NAEG NIIN: numen with I-tehta above it - yanta with A-tehta above
        it - anga SPACE numen - long carrier - numen

        2) Tehta mode for Gondor:
        DERICH: ando - romen with E-tehta above it - hwesta with I-tehta over
        it
        I 'ORF NIIN: unque with I-tehta over it - romen with O-tehta over it -
        ampa SPACE numen - long carrier - numen
        I 'LASS NIIN: unque with I-tehta above it - lambe - aze nuquerna with
        A-tehta over it SPACE numen - long carrier - numen
        I NAEG NIIN: numen with I-tehta above it - yanta with A-tehta above
        it - ungwe SPACE numen - long carrier - numen

        For commas between the nouns you can use ALT0136 (tripple dot) when
        typing in Daniel Smith's fonts or leave the nouns as they are, just
        separated by spaces.

        I can transcribe this for you and prepare .gif pictures but it would
        take a day since I have the Photoshop magic program at home. So I can
        send the pictures later if you're interested.

        Hope I helped.
        Lucy
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          On Dec 1, 2003, at 7:32 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

          > _Derich i 'orf niin, i 'lass niin, i naeg niin_
          > "[You] remain the vigor my, the joy my, the pain my"
          >
          > Vocabulary:
          > *derich -- "[you] remain": 2 ps sg, stem _dar-_,

          Leaving aside the fact that _-ch_ is nowhere attested as a Sindarin
          pronominal ending meaning 'you' (sg), I would point out that this use
          of _dar-_ 'stay, wait, stop, remain' is entirely ad hoc, and likely to
          be entirely inappropriate to the desired meaning. We see _dar-_ used
          only once, in the imperative _Daro!_, which Legolas translates as
          "Stand still!". The primary sense of _dar-_ thus seems to be cessation
          of motion or action. That is not the sense wanted here -- it would
          yield rather the meaning "You stop my vigor, my joy, my pain". Rather,
          you want a verb expressing endurance or continuance of actiion or
          state.

          This is a classic mistake of dictionary-based translation. To avoid it,
          you have to consider _all_ of the glosses together, as well as actual
          usage, to get the full and precise meaning of words.

          ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
          Ars longa, vita brevis.
        • Calwen Rudh
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
            That is why I wrote:
            >> Be aware that mainly the verb is not sure since the ending for
            >> singular "you" is not attested, only assumed.

            I would point out that this use
            > of _dar-_ 'stay, wait, stop, remain' is entirely ad hoc, and likely
            > be entirely inappropriate to the desired meaning. We see _dar-_
            used
            > only once, in the imperative _Daro!_, which Legolas translates as
            > "Stand still!". The primary sense of _dar-_ thus seems to be
            cessation
            > of motion or action. That is not the sense wanted here -- it would
            > yield rather the meaning "You stop my vigor, my joy, my pain".
            Rather,
            > you want a verb expressing endurance or continuance of actiion or
            > state.
            >
            > This is a classic mistake of dictionary-based translation. To avoid
            it,
            > you have to consider _all_ of the glosses together, as well as
            actual
            > usage, to get the full and precise meaning of words.

            It is true that my English is far from perfect and I will probably
            never be good enough to speak or know English as a native speaker. I
            suggested this verb because I thought it could have been used. As we
            use verbs to express something by extension, I thought this could be
            used by extension as well. If not, I am glad you pointed this out,
            I've learned more about SIndarin.

            Then, dear Idril, I have no better suggestion for you since there are
            only unatessted words for expressing your sentence, I guess. Maybe
            Carl could help directly, if it wouldn't be much border for him.

            Sorry.
            Lucy
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              On Dec 1, 2003, at 8:58 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

              > It is true that my English is far from perfect and I will probably
              > never be good enough to speak or know English as a native speaker. I
              > suggested this verb because I thought it could have been used.

              You seem to be taking this awfully hard! Note that this problem with
              dictionary translation has nothing at all to do with anyone's English
              abilities (well, at least not generally). Even native English speakers
              can and do make this sort of mistake frequently -- it is a problem that
              greatly plagues so-called "Neo-Sindarin" and "Neo-Quenya". It has
              instead to do with relying on isolated glosses taken from dictionaries,
              instead of considering the full context of a word, in both its usage
              and in comparison and contrast with other words of similar or related
              meanings.
            • Calwen Rudh
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                wrote:

                > On Dec 1, 2003, at 8:58 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:
                >
                > > It is true that my English is far from perfect and I will
                probably
                > > never be good enough to speak or know English as a native
                speaker. I
                > > suggested this verb because I thought it could have been used.
                >
                > You seem to be taking this awfully hard! Note that this problem
                with
                > dictionary translation has nothing at all to do with anyone's
                English
                > abilities (well, at least not generally)...

                Sure, still there is no doubt I will never speak or know English as
                you do (I mean you who could have given good advice to Idril), so I
                just came up with my suggestion. I still (after coming home and
                looking into the Etymologies) believe I used the right word if we
                are to use it by extension because _Daro!_ can mean "Stay still" as
                well as "Halt!" or "Stop!". In Etym., it reads: stem _dar-_ stay,
                wait, stop, remain. N deri, imperative daro!, stop, halt; dartha
                wait, stay, last, endure. I still haven't completed my "feeling"
                about Noldorin of Etymologies and its role (its affection) for LotR
                Sindarin but as you know yourself these are _almost_ the same. I am
                just wondering what you would propose? Also, giving such advice
                doesn't mean I've banished Sindarin and gave my heart to Neo-
                Sindarin, calling it Sindarin. I am well aware of the difference and
                I am trying hard to find the appropriate "translation" on my own -
                as I did here. I had _Daro!_ in my vocabulary, with a note from the
                Etym. since I used this in one of my Neo-Sindarin attempts.

                So let's stop this arguing that could have no end. Would you give me
                your DIRECT - if possible - advice, please?

                Thanks. Lucy
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                  On Dec 1, 2003, at 3:20 PM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

                  > I still (after coming home and looking into the Etymologies) believe I
                  > used the right word if we are to use it by extension because _Daro!_
                  > can mean "Stay still" as well as "Halt!" or "Stop!". In Etym., it
                  > reads: stem _dar-_ stay, wait, stop, remain. N deri, imperative daro!,
                  > stop, halt; dartha wait, stay, last, endure.

                  I still disagree. _deri_ 'stop, halt', certainly has none of the
                  desired meaning, which is "to continue to be" something (my vigor, my
                  joy, my pain). After all, if presented next week with someone wanting
                  to translate "You stop my heart", would you not then suggest the same
                  stem _deri_? In this case, I would say, more appropriately (assuming
                  that _deri_ can also be used transitively). _dartha_ looks more
                  promising, but it is still not clear that it can be used to mean "to
                  continue to be" something as opposed to simply "remain" in one place or
                  state.

                  As an aside, I note that these ad hoc usages seem never to have any
                  awareness of the ways in which the same words are used in other ad hoc
                  situations with entirely different meanings, even contradictory ones as
                  here. If this is what it means to "speak Sindarin", then the effort to
                  do so is indeed doomed.

                  > So let's stop this arguing that could have no end.

                  What "arguing"? How is it "arguing" to point out that the word you
                  suggest does not have the desired meaning?

                  > Would you give me your DIRECT - if possible - advice, please?

                  My only "DIRECT" advice is to not use _deri_, since it clearly does not
                  have the desired meaning (in fact, has pretty much the opposite of the
                  desired meaning in this case). Offhand, I can't think of a verb that
                  does have the desired meaning -- again, "to continue to be" (something)
                  -- so unless someone can suggest such a verb, I would otherwise advise
                  you either to paraphrase, or to translate something else. If you don't
                  want to do that, then I would say _dartha_ is your best bet, but with
                  strong reservations.
                • Calwen Rudh
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Carl wrote:
                    > I still disagree. _deri_ 'stop, halt', certainly has none of the
                    desired meaning, which is "to continue to be" something (my vigor, my
                    joy, my pain).

                    Already then. I was thinking of it and have to admit you're right.

                    > After all, if presented next week with someone wanting to
                    translate "You stop my heart", would you not then suggest the same
                    stem _deri_?

                    Hmmm, assuming you wouldn't let it go through this list unnoticed ...
                    no. :)

                    > What "arguing"? How is it "arguing" to point out that the word you
                    suggest does not have the desired meaning?

                    This had no negative meaning. I might have rather written "guessing"
                    or something less ambiguous. Or nothing.

                    > My only "DIRECT" advice is to not use _deri_, …

                    OK.

                    So let's try to help poor Idril. What about something like:
                    _Le hebithon vi guur niin, le i 'orf niin, i 'lass niin, i naeg niin._
                    "You I will keep in my heart, you - my vigor, my joy, my pain."

                    - knowing that the pronominal ending is not sure. I don't have VT:44
                    so I haven't read the analysis so I can't say anything about accuracy
                    of _vi_.

                    One little question in the end: were we of any help to Idril? I guess
                    not. And that doesn't please me.

                    Lucy
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                      On Dec 2, 2003, at 4:06 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

                      > One little question in the end: were we of any help to Idril? I guess
                      > not. And that doesn't please me.

                      I think it is quite a bit of help -- whether the person being so helped
                      realizes it or not -- to show what the actual nature of Tolkien's
                      languages is, and how language in general actually works, and the
                      pitfalls of attempting to "speak" a poorly-attested language.

                      After all, if none of these things concern "Idril", if all she really
                      wants it to have something pretty-looking permanently etched into her
                      skin, then why not just transliterate the English phrase into Tengwar?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > After all, if none of these things concern "Idril", if all she
                        really
                        > wants it to have something pretty-looking permanently etched into
                        her
                        > skin, then why not just transliterate the English phrase into
                        Tengwar?

                        Well this was in my mind too. To be honest I don't much understand
                        people who want to get an English (or other language) sentence in
                        Sindarin tattood in Tengwar without knowing a piece of Sindarin
                        itself. I wouldn't e.g. get a tattoo of wind in Svahili transcribed
                        in Japanese signs although Svahili seems very exotic to me and I like
                        the look of Japanese signs. But it doesn't mean I don'T want to help.
                        It is their choice.

                        Ok, Idril, so why don'T you get your sentence in English in Tengwar
                        when we can't give you a good translation into Sindarin? :o)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                          Carl F. Hostetter wote:

                          > My only "DIRECT" advice is to not use _deri_, since it clearly does not
                          have the desired meaning (in fact, has pretty much the opposite of the
                          desired meaning in this case). Offhand, I can't think of a verb that does
                          have the desired meaning -- again, "to continue to be" (something) -- so
                          unless someone can suggest such a verb, I would otherwise advise you either
                          to paraphrase,

                          Some kind of paraphrase is the obvious solution here. If we assume that
                          _le_ can function as subject "you", then "you remain" (etc.) can be
                          rendered as _le him_, literally "you [are] continually" or "you're still
                          [my pleasure, my pain or whatever]". See the entry KHIM in the Etymologies
                          for the adverb _him_.

                          - HKF