Re: please double check this tengwar, it is "hope" in Quenya ("estel")

  • aphadiol
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Harri Perälä <harri.perala@l...>
      wrote:
      > nat121780 wrote:
      >
      > > Lierontaure helped with this but i need it double checked
      because i'm
      > > going to be getting it tattooed.
      > > http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL118/906573/1671294/38376492.jpg
      >
      > "Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise", and
      I'm
      > not one of the wise, so I won't say yes or no. I can't think of
      any
      > other ways to write the word in the usual Quenya mode, though.
      >
      > The only complication I could think of is that some etymologically
      > related words would apparently have an initial _s_ that used to be
      > pronounced _th_, and could therefore be written with súle.

      Hi the writing is correct, but I recommend a more calligraphical
      mode of the sound "st". It's like a 'tinco' with an upward hook on
      the left side of the 'telco' (I can show it to you if you have
      tengwar sindarin ttf on your PC)

      On the silme/thúle-problem
      There is no definite rule that an initial 's' should be written
      with 'silme'. However, ther are some words that (on historycal and
      etymological reasons) should be written with 'thúle' (for example:
      Sauron ('cause it's from the word 'thaur')

      Navaer!
      Aphadiol, the Follower