Satisfaction

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2003

      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > Indeed, we can't get no satisfaction. [...] But if you try sometime, you
      might find you get what you need. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

      We all know you can't resist, Carl. But seriously, a plausible neologism
      for "satisfaction" can easily be coined. In several langauges, the idea of
      _satisfaction_ etymologically has to do with 'achieving peace' (by having
      one's desire satisfied). One may consider such a word as German
      _Befriedigung_, or indeed Norwegian _tilfredsstillelse_ (Fried, fred =
      "peace").

      So if we start from Tolkien-Quenya _senda_ "resting, at peace", we can add
      a causative ending and derive the Neo-Quenya verb _sendata-_ "bring to
      peace, make rest" and so "satisfy"; gerund/verbal noun _sendatie_
      "satisfaction". Easy as lembas.

      But I don't know if the person who wanted a translation of "I can't get no
      satisfaction" is going to use it for a Tengwar tattoo or whatever; if so,
      neologisms are perhaps unwanted.

      - HKF
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2003
        On Nov 20, 2003, at 5:06 PM, Helge K. Fauskanger wrote:

        > I wrote, replying to a request for a translation:
        >
        >> We have no word for "satisfaction", I believe.
        >
        > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
        >
        >> Indeed, we can't get no satisfaction. [...] But if you try sometime,
        >> you
        > might find you get what you need. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
        >
        > We all know you can't resist, Carl.

        Obviously, Helge is unfamiliar with the work of the Rolling Stones. Or
        perhaps he simply has no sense of humor.