Re: [elfscript] Re: Tengwar

  • Michael Everson
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 14, 2000
      Ar 18:56 +0100 2000-04-14, scríobh Robert Brady:

      >Ok. That convinces me. I'm just concerned about the complexity, as it is
      >not likely software companies will devote any effort to Tengwar support, so
      >it should be that adding support is a 'no-brainer'. (Less conventional
      >operating systems such as Linux will certainly have support for Tengwar).

      It is a complex writing system, and I suspect it won't really get encoded
      until we have in implementation font. I'm concerned about whether I got the
      Old English vowel encoding right.

      >Have the committes of ISO and Unicode responsible for such matters
      >approved, in principle, to the encoding of Tengwar (and Cirth) in the UCS?

      While they hiss and spit at Klingon, the feeling does seem to be that
      Tengwar and Cirth are legitimate scripts for encoding. (Not that this was a
      reason I proposed Klingon along with Tengwar and Cirth, oh my no....)

      Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
      Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 14, 2000
        Robert Brady wrote:

        > Have the committes of ISO and Unicode responsible for such matters
        > approved, in principle, to the encoding of Tengwar (and Cirth) in the UCS?

        They neither approve nor disapprove until a specific proposal is in hand.
        What we are doing is refining the draft of such a proposal.

        --

        Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@...>
        Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 15 3:31 PM
          http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/hindi/alphabet/

          http://www.ajeyabharat.com/slogans_hindi.html

          For ideas on what it looks like, for possible comparison with
          Tengwar..

          I do know that many of the lingos of India, and SE and to a degree NE
          of India are based on fully or partially on the script that Sanskrit
          used.. Some are harder to tell the origin, especially by the time you
          get to Java and their script is very curvy.

          Mike
        • Nicole Mate
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 13, 2004
            Hi,
            I know you all get annoyed by random translation requests, but I need a little help. I have a phrase translated into Sindarian and Quenya and I need each transcribed into Tengwar (and actually, if anyone has time, could you check the translations I have - I am almost positive they're right, but you never know). I have tried in so many different places to transcribe these or download a font, but nothing I am doing seems to work. If any of you can help me, or tell me what I can do to do it myself, I would be incredibly grateful. Thanks! The phrase is �see my pain�, here are the translations I already have.
            Quenya - � cen� nwalmenya or c�n� naicenya
            Sindarian - ceno naeg n�n. or ceno i naeg n�n.

            Once again, Thank you!