Tengwar with a computer: alternative for TengScribe

  • Liesbeth Flobbe
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28 7:29 AM
      Hi to all of you!

      One week ago, I was looking for a way to write with the Internation
      Phonetic Alphabet, and I stumbled upon a Windows utility that can be
      programmed for writing Tengwar too. Here's what it is:

      It is called Keyman (Keyboard Manager) and it is available from
      www.tavultesoft.com. It can replace (sequences of) characters with other
      (sequences of) characters while you're typing in, for example, a word
      processor. With the Development Kit, anyone can program `keyboards'. There
      are keyboards that simulate deadkeys and for all kids of exotic languages.
      So I hacked together a keyboard for English/Sindarin that uses Dan Smith's
      font mapping. It is at English/Sindarin that uses Dan Smith's font
      mapping. It is at www.ai.rug.nl/~flobbe/tengwar/

      I think this is a great utility, especially because it can be used from
      any Windows program that allows you to select a Tengwar font. If anyone is
      going to use this utility with my keyboard, or even to program a keyboard
      of himself, I would really like to hear something about it.

      This is quite a long posting now. The rest of the info is at my website
      (don't expect too much of it, I don't have time to create a decent
      website, since I'm too busy with Tengwar) and in the zip-file you can
      download from there.

      Bye and I hope this didn't sound too much like a commercial,

      Liesbeth
    • Liesbeth Flobbe
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28 7:32 AM
        Hi again!

        I've been unable to reach Tavultesoft's website for the past few hours.
        If you're impatient (or if something is really wrong with Tavultesoft),
        you can get an older version of Keyman from
        http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/keyman.html. It won't work with my
        keyboard, though, unless you tweak the headers of the source.
      • rkyrmse@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28 9:58 AM
          This is another address where you can get a FREE virtual keyboard --
          not ideal maybe, with some limitations, but pretty configurable:
          http://www.ac.net/~lakerat/cnt/
          It's the Lake Software Click-N-Type.
          Ronald Kyrmse / Certur Harmatir
          (Visit me at http://users.sti.com.br/rkyrmse)