Re: [elfscript] Re: OT: Helge misdirecting the discourse (again)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
      On Nov 6, 2003, at 8:08 AM, mach wrote:

      > Of course, Helge Fauskanger uses rhetorics, but rhetorics are natural
      > and even very helpful as long as they're used to miscredit arguments,
      > not persons.

      Rhetoric is useful when it furthers the goal of finding the truth. The
      sort of rhetorics Helge employs are directed towards obscuring the
      truth. That is not helpful to anyone but Helge.

      > Of course, he makes misinterpretations, but that's natural as well.

      Nor is the mere fact of his misrepresentation the (sole) issue. The
      most serious issue is that, _even when his errors are pointed out_,
      Helge steadfastly refuses to correct them, because it serves his
      purposes to maintain the falsehood.

      > then you should know that this demonstration has failed (at least on
      > me) because it's drowned out by your hate.

      I don't hate Helge. I don't even know him. But I do hate his
      self-serving, truth-obscuring rhetoric and his unwillingness to correct
      his errors.

      But that is _your_ error: that you can't separate criticism of methods,
      claims, and deeds from hatred of a person.
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
        On Nov 6, 2003, at 8:08 AM, mach wrote:

        > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
        >> I'm willing to believe that you are not _aware_ of your rhetorical
        >> faults, that they really are just conditioned reflexes, not
        >> deliberate calculations
        >
        > I believe the same applies to you. If your deliberate calculation were
        > to miscredit Helge Fauskanger, then you're on the wrong way

        P.S. My goal neither is, nor ever has been, to discredit Helge. My goal
        is simply what the goal of scholarship is, and what the goal of anyone
        claiming to be a scholar should be: the search for truth.
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
          Since Helge seems not to have noticed it, I want to set forth these
          simple questions again in plain sight.

          In his article on "Reconstructing the Sindarin Verb System"
          (<http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/sverb-rec.htm>), Helge writes:

          "By this system we would have [past-tense] forms like *ebid "spoke"
          (ped- "speak"), *ewidh "bound" (gwed[h]- "bind"), *idir "watched" (tir-
          "watch"), and *onur "ran" (nor- "run")."

          Note the short vowels in each form.

          To this, Helge has now appended a note that begins:

          "NOTE: Carl F. Hostetter argues that the final vowel should remain long
          in the Sindarin words, since it was long at an older stage (e.g. *onúr
          rather than *onur, because the older form would be *onôr-)."

          As anyone can plainly see from what I actually wrote
          (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/message/2783> and
          detailed elsewhere
          (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lambengolmor/message/510>), this is a
          complete misrepresentation of my words and position. I argued only that
          original long vowels _might_ remain long _in stressed position_; I said
          precisely _nothing_ about them remaining long in _unstressed_ position,
          such as in the

          Questions:
          ---------

          For Helge:
          ---------

          1) Do you still maintain that your statement, quoted above, is factual?

          2) If so, can you please show us where I ever made such an argument?

          3) If not, will you correct your misrepresentation?

          4) If you will not correct it, why not?

          For Mach:
          --------

          1) Having read the sources, do you find Helge's statement to be factual?

          2) If so, can you please show us where I ever made such an argument?

          3) If not, do you find it acceptable for Helge to attribute absurd
          positions to me and then to leave them uncorrected when his
          misrepresentations have been pointed out?

          4) If so, why?

          5) If not, then why are you defending Helge's practice of doing such
          (instead of arguing against it, or at least remaining silent)?

          I await your answers.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
            Until recently, one article on my pages implied that Carl F. Hostetter
            thinks older *_itîr-_ as a possible (though unlikely) past tense "watched"
            would produce Noldorin/Sindarin *_idír_ rather than *_idir_. CFH himself
            writes:

            > this is a complete misrepresentation of my words and position. I argued
            only that original long vowels _might_ remain long _in stressed position_;
            I said precisely _nothing_ about them remaining long in _unstressed_
            position, such as in the

            As we understand, somebody hit the SEND button a little prematurely here,
            but CFH's point is still reasonably clear, especially in the light of other
            posts of his.

            It is hardly entirely correct that he said "precisely _nothing_" about
            vowels in unstressed position. Rather he said he thought the vowel would be
            _especially_ likely to remain long in stressed position, with the seeming
            implication that he thinks it could very well remain long even when
            unstressed.

            When I wrote that I thought we would see *_idir_ rather than *_idír_, and
            he in direct response to this states: "I see no reason why the vowel would
            not remain long", then it does sound to me as if he is arguing FOR *_idír_
            and AGAINST _idir_. If I misunderstood him and he only meant we would see
            _idír-_ before some ending, then he was really begging to be misunderstood.
            Rather than making a circus about this, as if I were deliberately
            misrepresenting him to make him look stupid, it would be far better if he
            could say: "I'm sorry, it seems that in the heat of the argument I didn't
            express myself adequately. Please allow me to clarify this..."

            Very well, let's just be happy that some sort of clarification did
            materialize after all. CFH now claims he meant that the older long vowel
            would remain long in the _penultimate_ syllable of suffixed forms, where a
            long vowel would attract the stress. Unfortunately, there is _still_ little
            evidence to support such a view, and good reasons to doubt it. With more
            recent compounds as the main exception, the general tendency is to shorten
            long vowels in polysyllabic words. For examples, check out the Revised Note
            in my article:

            http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/sverb-rec.htm

            (Search for "Hostetter argues that before"...)

            - HKF
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
              On Nov 10, 2003, at 6:15 PM, Helge K. Fauskanger wrote:

              > Until recently,

              I.e., until _today_, after weeks and weeks of evasion...

              > one article on my pages implied that Carl F. Hostetter thinks older
              > *_itîr-_ as a possible (though unlikely) past tense "watched" would
              > produce Noldorin/Sindarin *_idír_ rather than *_idir_.

              And the same page in fact _still_ claims that I argued this, which I
              never did. Helge has merely displaced his false, unevidenced assertion
              further down in his now longer note, and replaced it with a different
              set of false assertions (such as, that I "dismiss" agorech, or argued
              that the stem vowel would be different in "some cases" -- in fact, I
              merely pointed out that _if the sole example of past-tense formation
              exhibited by _agor_ < *_akâra_ is to be applied to other verbs_, then
              the _whole_ pattern needs to be applied, and not set aside silently as
              Helge does; and the pattern exhibited by *_akâra_ _includes_ an
              extended base with suffixed _sundóma_.

              > Rather than making a circus about this, as if I were deliberately
              > misrepresenting him to make him look stupid, it would be far better if
              > he could say: "I'm sorry, it seems that in the heat of the argument I
              > didn't express myself adequately. Please allow me to clarify this..."

              I expressed myself with perfect adequacy, and far more precisely than
              you bothered to notice in your zeal to attempt to discredit one that
              you view as your "opponent" (which is at least 95% of your problem as a
              "scholar": that you view it as a combative sport). No clarification was
              necessary beyond that provided by simply reading my words with the care
              and thoughtfulness due to -- and from -- any scholar.

              I reject Helge's continued falsifications of my words and of the
              evidence, and I deplore his unwillingness to discuss these issues in an
              open forum so that the truth can be reached and so that he can come to
              understand my arguments and the evidence before he falsely attributes
              claims and positions to me.

              And I say again to all readers of Helge's work: do not accept
              _anything_ he says as true, unless you can verify it independently.
              This is true even when Helge cites evidence (as he has a disturbing
              tendency to quote out of context), and _especially_ when, as
              frequently, he cites no evidence at all. His failure to quote any words
              of mine supporting his misrepresentations of my claims should alert any
              considerate reader that things are not as he wants you to believe they
              are.
            • John Cowan
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                Carl F. Hostetter scripsit:

                > I expressed myself with perfect adequacy,

                You may have *expressed* yourself, but you obviously failed to
                *communicate*, since that (like the tango) takes at least two.

                --
                "Kill Gorg)Bûn! Kill orc-folk! John Cowan
                No other words please Wild Men. jcowan@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                  The fact that _Helge_ misunderstood my words (if in fact he did),
                  because he couldn't be bothered to read them with any care, does _not_
                  mean that I failed to "communicate"; only that he failed to understand
                  what I wrote.

                  It also takes two for a mugging to occur; that doesn't mean the muggee
                  is at fault. Don't pin Helge's failure on me.