RE: [elfscript] Re: Font error in PDF formatting

  • Karyn Traphagen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
      >From: elimloth [mailto:draco@...]
      >On which operating system do you see the problem: Win98,
      WinXP, OS9, OSX, linux?

      I am using WinXP. I am trying various combinations of
      programs and fonts to narrow down the cause, but so far
      still get the problem. Karyn
    • Karyn Traphagen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
        OK, I have narrowed down some of the problem.
        Acrobat Distiller is returning an error that says:
        %%[ Warning: TengwarParmaite cannot be embedded because of
        licensing restrictions.]%%
        %%[ Font vendor (Macromedia) does not permit this font to be
        embedded in PDF.]%%

        This occurs when making a PDF from Word, both when printing
        to file and then manually generating the PDF with Distiller
        AND when using the PDFmaker within Word.

        Within QuarkXpress I can generate a correct PDF using
        Tengwar Quenya if I use the Print function (specifying Adobe
        PDF as the printer). If I try to make the PDF with Quark's
        "Export as PDF" generator, I get everything except the
        aforementioned shift-6 keystroke (that displays as a box).
        However, if I switch and use the Tengwar Parmaite font
        within QuarkXpress, I get just keystrokes (no tengwar) from
        the "Print" command, and I get tengwar (except for the
        shift-6) from the "Export as PDF command.

        If this is getting too computer-related and getting OT for
        the list, I'd be grateful to continue the discussion with
        someone off-list.
        Karyn
      • gildir_2
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2003
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Karyn Traphagen" <karyn@b...>
          wrote:

          > Acrobat Distiller is returning an error that says:
          > %%[ Warning: TengwarParmaite cannot be embedded because of
          > licensing restrictions.]%%
          > %%[ Font vendor (Macromedia) does not permit this font to be
          > embedded in PDF.]%%

          Some fonts don't allow inclusion. I have a vauge memory of this
          problem fron the time I made the tengwar guides
          (http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html).

          It is, of course, necessary to include all fonts in a PDF file,
          otherwise the result will be unreadable to anyone who does not have
          all the used fonts installed.

          If I remember correctly, Måns Björkman and Dan Smith made new
          versions of their fonts that allow inclusion, and I beleive that they
          have replaced their published fonts with the new versions.

          Have you tried to download the latest font versions? Did it help?

          Meneg suilaid o Mellonath Daeron!
          Gildir, Per Lindberg