Font error in PDF formatting

  • Karyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
      I am getting an error for one (and only one) tehta when trying to
      convert a file into a PDF. The tehta symbol found on the keyboard at
      shift-6 is giving me trouble. Instead of the tehta (a nicely
      centered overcurl), I get a box. I have tried both Tengwar Parmaite
      and Tengwar Quenya fonts and get the same error. Any suggestions? As
      a workaround, I am just using the shift-Y key, but the overcurl is
      not always properly placed.

      thanks, Karyn
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
        "Karyn" <karyn@b...> wrote:
        > [...] The tehta symbol found on the keyboard at
        > shift-6 is giving me trouble. Instead of the tehta (a nicely
        > centered overcurl), I get a box.

        On which operating system do you see the problem: Win98, WinXP, OS9,
        OSX, linux?

        I tried this on WinXP without problems. I do see what you described
        when using converted windows fonts on OS9.
        Elimloth
      • Karyn Traphagen
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
          >From: elimloth [mailto:draco@...]
          >On which operating system do you see the problem: Win98,
          WinXP, OS9, OSX, linux?

          I am using WinXP. I am trying various combinations of
          programs and fonts to narrow down the cause, but so far
          still get the problem. Karyn
        • Karyn Traphagen
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
            OK, I have narrowed down some of the problem.
            Acrobat Distiller is returning an error that says:
            %%[ Warning: TengwarParmaite cannot be embedded because of
            licensing restrictions.]%%
            %%[ Font vendor (Macromedia) does not permit this font to be
            embedded in PDF.]%%

            This occurs when making a PDF from Word, both when printing
            to file and then manually generating the PDF with Distiller
            AND when using the PDFmaker within Word.

            Within QuarkXpress I can generate a correct PDF using
            Tengwar Quenya if I use the Print function (specifying Adobe
            PDF as the printer). If I try to make the PDF with Quark's
            "Export as PDF" generator, I get everything except the
            aforementioned shift-6 keystroke (that displays as a box).
            However, if I switch and use the Tengwar Parmaite font
            within QuarkXpress, I get just keystrokes (no tengwar) from
            the "Print" command, and I get tengwar (except for the
            shift-6) from the "Export as PDF command.

            If this is getting too computer-related and getting OT for
            the list, I'd be grateful to continue the discussion with
            someone off-list.
            Karyn
          • gildir_2
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2003
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Karyn Traphagen" <karyn@b...>
              wrote:

              > Acrobat Distiller is returning an error that says:
              > %%[ Warning: TengwarParmaite cannot be embedded because of
              > licensing restrictions.]%%
              > %%[ Font vendor (Macromedia) does not permit this font to be
              > embedded in PDF.]%%

              Some fonts don't allow inclusion. I have a vauge memory of this
              problem fron the time I made the tengwar guides
              (http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html).

              It is, of course, necessary to include all fonts in a PDF file,
              otherwise the result will be unreadable to anyone who does not have
              all the used fonts installed.

              If I remember correctly, Måns Björkman and Dan Smith made new
              versions of their fonts that allow inclusion, and I beleive that they
              have replaced their published fonts with the new versions.

              Have you tried to download the latest font versions? Did it help?

              Meneg suilaid o Mellonath Daeron!
              Gildir, Per Lindberg