Óre versus rómen

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hello,

      I got this question: in KLIII, words _Perhael_ and _Iorhael_ are
      written differently, _Perhael_ with óre, _Iorhael_ with rómen: why?
      Is this a typo of Tolkien? And if so, which one of these is correct?
      The answers on the net concerning this matter somehow differs as
      well.

      Should one write óre at the end of the word, even if it's a part of a
      compound? But in that position, it is no more voiceless, right? Or is
      it?

      I can't make head or tail of it.

      Thanks for any help.

      Lucy
    • gildir_2
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Calwen Rudh" <calwen.rudh@s...>
        wrote:

        > I got this question: in KLIII, words _Perhael_ and _Iorhael_
        > are written differently, _Perhael_ with óre, _Iorhael_ with
        > rómen: why? Is this a typo of Tolkien? And if so, which one
        > of these is correct?

        If my memory is correct, there are *very* few ocurrances where
        R is written with óre medially. So my guess is that this is a
        mistake. (Unless some very esotheric rule is in effect... :-)

        As for compound words, I beleive that we don't have any
        examples, so it's anybody's guess. If a general rule is
        to be formulated, I'd say keep it simple and use óre only
        finally.

        Suilaid o Mellonath Daeron,
        Gildir, Per Lindberg