Re: Anyone from India??

  • tangentvector@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2001
      --- In elfscript@y..., kedarnath_r@r... wrote:
      > Hi Kedar here!!
      > I would like to know if anybody here is from India or knows any
      elfscipt
      > enthusiast from India,because I think that the grammar of the elven
      > language is quite akin to some of those in India.
      > Of course I am from India.
      >
      > Kedar.

      Actually, Tolkien himself wrote that the Elven languages were heavily
      European... which is true. The grammar of the Elven languages is
      heavily European.
    • Abrigon
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2001
        But I believe the professor did some work on Indo-European, which is
        related to Indo-Iran, and Indo-Aryan (old terms)..

        Basically the lingos of India and Iran and yes Afghanistan (Farsi,
        Hindi, Urdu and others). So the speaker of Hindi or a related lingo
        could see some relavence in the lingos of Middle Earth. Brat (word for
        annoying child), comes from India I believe, meaning Brother - Braht
        (sp).

        Mike