just another tattoo

  • spaceycaseypt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2003
      i am searching for the translation of the phrase "ten thousand
      times ten thousand" in quenya. so far my guess is "quaine
      menqui/mencar? lur quaine menqui/mencar?" is this correct?
      casey
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "spaceycaseypt"
        <spaceycaseypt@y...> wrote:
        > i am searching for the translation of the phrase "ten thousand
        > times ten thousand" in quenya. so far my guess is "quaine
        > menqui/mencar? lur quaine menqui/mencar?" is this correct?
        > casey

        Well, that is what Elhath suggested to you when you asked the
        qustion on elfling a few days ago:

        Elhath wrote:
        *_Quaine menqui/mencar lúr quaine menqui/mencar_?

        ...indicating the phrase is uncertain.

        I'm not certain about the neo-Quenya word for thousand. The closest
        word I know is the Sindarin _meneg_ derived from _menegroth_ the
        thousand caves described in the Silmarillion. In Didier's
        dictionary, meneg is postulated to be derived from Old Sindarin
        *_meneke_ and eventually a root of *MENEK, though as far as I know
        no such stem has been attested to date. So, *_mence_ being back
        formed from Sindarin _meneg_ is quite hypothetical and its meaning
        is not entirely clear.

        David Salo posted commentary about this in 1996:
        Meneg would probably be from Eldarin *menekee, and so would
        be cognate to Quenya *mence. Does it then equal 12^3 (1728)?
        Or is it just a general word meaning 'a whole lot'?

        If you want to make a tattoo of your 10,000 x 10,000 idea, perhaps
        transcribing the English phrase into Tengwar might be safer.

        Elimloth