Having a bit of trouble

  • thylotiel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2003
      I am searching for the Sindarin translation of the
      word "surrender." Is there a direct translation, or would it
      perhaps be something like "to give in" or "give up"? I'm having
      difficulty finding this translation, and when I've posted on other
      boards, my request has been ignored. Any help would be much
      appreciated, and thank you in advance.

      - Toni
    • Calwen Rudh
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "thylotiel" <toniadomiel@h...>
        wrote:
        > I am searching for the Sindarin translation of the
        > word "surrender." Is there a direct translation, or would it
        > perhaps be something like "to give in" or "give up"? I'm having
        > difficulty finding this translation, and when I've posted on other
        > boards, my request has been ignored. Any help would be much
        > appreciated, and thank you in advance.
        >
        > - Toni

        I have found _awartha-_ which is more like "forsake", so I'm not sure
        whether this is the right one you need. If yes, then there is another
        word, for "(the one) forsaken" which could be translated as a noun as
        well as an adjective, and it goes like _eglan_ pl. _eglain_ -
        Falathrim folk was called so.

        I don't think I helped anyway. The problem is that within the known
        (published) material, there is I'm afraid not such word. And, it is
        not good to translate English 'idioms' such as "give up" or "give
        in". As you might know various languages have their own 'idioms' and
        they cannot be translated literally. The same applies to Sindarin.

        Suilaid,
        luc