Re: Can anyone tell me whether these are correct?

  • P Key
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Mach Hezan <machhezan@g...> wrote:
      > Chris Ruzin wrote:
      > > > Here's how I wrote it: z3E75Ø tZTlEj`C
      >
      > Elimloth answered:
      > > Måns
      > > based his mode on the LoTR title page and other specimina (see
      > > http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/tengscribe.htm).
      > >
      > > The difference between it and Chris' transcription is use of Ore
      > > instead of Romen for R, the use of Calma instead of Hwesta(?) with
      > > an extended Telco for CH, and vowel gathering to produce the AE
      > > dipthong. Mans' mode is based on the , and Chris' transcription
      > > seems to have a mode of Gondor influence.
      >
      > Apparently, here's a case where the tengwar transcriber doesn't
      work: In
      > Tolkien's Traditional Spelling English modes, the letters _ch_ are
      only
      > transcribed with calma if they represent the sound heard in words
      like
      > _church_.
      >
      > Otherwise, we have one instance of quesse with a vertical stroke
      below
      > (perhaps to be understood as a halla) in the full writing version
      Brogan
      > Tengwa Greetings, DTS 10, and two instances of extended calma (i.e.
      > aspirated _k_) in the Brogan Tengwa Greetings, DTS 10, and in the
      Michael
      > Endorion Dedication, as reported by Danny in the following two
      messages:

      > I'm not really sure whether yanta should be used for the _e_
      of 'Michaela',
      > because I don't know how it's pronounced. If it's pronounced as
      _Micha-ela_,
      > then I wouldn't suggest it.
      >
      > suilaid
      > mach

      It is pronounced like this: http://www.key-
      family.com/kathryn/Michaela_F.wav
    • Chris Ruzin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2003
        On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 02:49 PM, P Key wrote:

        > It is pronounced like this:  http://www.key-
        > family.com/kathryn/Michaela_F.wav

        Going by how it's pronounced, what I gave should be correct.

        Chris

        --
        Chris Ruzin
        www.chrisruzin.net

      • Mach Hezan
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2003
          Mach Hezan wrote:
          > > If it's pronounced as_Micha-ela_,
          > > then I wouldn't suggest it.

          P Key answered:
          > It is pronounced like this: http://www.key-
          > family.com/kathryn/Michaela_F.wav

          As I hear it, it's not pronounced as _Micha-ela_, so I'd go with Chris and
          Danny.

          suilaid
          mach
        • elimloth
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2003

            Chris Ruzin <chris@m...> replied:
            > Going by how it's pronounced, what I gave should be correct.

            Agreed. BTW, I tried various words using the english.mod file and
            all CHs are rendered the same, with Calma. The ruleset does not
            attempt to distinguish between hachet, church vs. ache, chaos,
            michael. Though the mode file already has nearly 500 rules, it might
            be worth trying to map the common 'k' forms of CH.

            Elimloth