Re: [elfscript] Thanx Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2001
      > "Old English" in the technical sense ended in 1066.
      > You mean "Early Modern English". All these terms
      > were current in the 16th and the 17th century and
      > were common in poetry right through the 19th.

      There is one site, which is an online Tolkien
      Encyclopedia, if not mistaken it's called Arda
      project. There is a section there with a list of all
      (hm.. many) archaic words that Tolkien uses and their
      meaning.. unfortunately I dont have the link right
      now.. if anyone has??

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • David Nowakowski
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2001
        >There is one site, which is an online Tolkien
        >Encyclopedia, if not mistaken it's called Arda
        >project. There is a section there with a list of all
        >(hm.. many) archaic words that Tolkien uses and their
        >meaning.. unfortunately I dont have the link right
        >now.. if anyone has??

        It's called the Encyclopedia of Arda, and is located at this URL:

        http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

        The link to the list of archaic words is in the bar to the left.

        Cuio mae,
        David Nowakowski

      • Lola Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2001
          --- In elfscript@y..., kedarnath_r@r... wrote:

          > Often in TLOR Tolkien uses words
          > like "nigh" , "ere" , "anon" .These words
          > I think were used in the Old English but
          > I am not sure of their meaning.!
          > Can anyone comment on this????

          You can also look these word up in a dictionary. A good dictionary
          will often have information on the background of certain words. I
          would recommend Webster or Oxford. Get one that is on a college level
          - the definitions are more detailed. Whenever I come across an
          unfamiliar word, I make it a practice to look it up in a dictionary.
          You'll find that it can be your best friend!

          Lola