I need a little help

  • moondragon3333
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      I have been looking all over the net for help with translating a
      phrase into elvish. "Look to the future, remember the past." I want
      to have this tattooed on my ankle in elvish, and in scrpit as well.
      can anyone help with this?

      thanks!
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2003
        > I have been looking all over the net for help with translating a phrase
        into elvish. "Look to the future, remember the past." I want to have this
        tattooed on my ankle in elvish, and in scrpit as well. can anyone help with
        this?

        In (Neo-)Quenya perhaps: _Á tire enwanna, á enyale i vanwie_. (_Enwa_ =
        "tomorrow", according to the QL. Some words for "future" are also provided
        in that work, but they look a little strange within the context of a
        LotR-compatible variant of Quenya. On the other hand, _enwa_ works well: In
        the Etymologies, entry YA-, it is said that the stem EN- "of time points to
        the future".)

        This code will yield this text in the standard Tengwar fonts:

        ~C 1T7R `V5nE5"# = `C `V5Ì#jR `B yE5nT`V

        - Helge Fauskanger
      • ertuile
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2004
          In April when I turn 18, I'm getting a tattoo. Since Tolkien's work
          is so important to me I wanted to get an Elvish tattoo. I feel a very
          close bond to Samwise Gamgee and I wanted to get the phrase "Faithful
          like Sam" in Quenya using Tengwar. I've tried to figure out the
          translation on my own and so far I've come up with the "Faithful
          like..." part but I don't know how to translate Sam's name into
          Quenya.
          What I have is "vórima ve" which I've gathered to mean "Faithful
          like", but I have practically no knowledge of the Elvish language so
          I'm probably way off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2004
            ertuile wrote:

            >In April when I turn 18, I'm getting a tattoo. Since Tolkien's work is so
            important to me I wanted to get an Elvish tattoo. I feel a very close bond
            to Samwise Gamgee and I wanted to get the phrase "Faithful like Sam" in
            Quenya using Tengwar. I've tried to figure out the translation on my own
            and so far I've come up with the "Faithful like..." part but I don't know
            how to translate Sam's name into
            Quenya.

            Well, in Sindarin Sam (Samwise) is called _Perhael_ (semi-wise/half-wise,
            _per-_ "half" + _sael_ "wise", with Sindarin lenition S > H in the second
            part of the compound). _Sael_ "wise" corresponds to Quenya _saila_, and the
            element _per-_ "half-" also occurs in both languages. Maybe we could have
            something like _Persailo_ in Quenya, with the masculine ending _-o_? Or
            possibly _Pessailo_ with assimilation rs > ss, but this assimilation (known
            from the historical phonological evolution) may perhaps be ignored in more
            recent compounds.

            > What I have is "vórima ve" which I've gathered to mean "Faithful
            like",

            Yes, that should work. Or you can use _voronda ve..._.

            - HKF
          • April
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
              <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
              > ertuile wrote:
              >
              > >In April when I turn 18, I'm getting a tattoo. Since Tolkien's
              work is so
              > important to me I wanted to get an Elvish tattoo. I feel a very
              close bond
              > to Samwise Gamgee and I wanted to get the phrase "Faithful like
              Sam" in
              > Quenya using Tengwar. I've tried to figure out the translation on
              my own
              > and so far I've come up with the "Faithful like..." part but I
              don't know
              > how to translate Sam's name into
              > Quenya.
              >
              > Well, in Sindarin Sam (Samwise) is called _Perhael_ (semi-wise/half-
              wise,
              > _per-_ "half" + _sael_ "wise", with Sindarin lenition S > H in the
              second
              > part of the compound). _Sael_ "wise" corresponds to Quenya _saila_,
              and the
              > element _per-_ "half-" also occurs in both languages. Maybe we
              could have
              > something like _Persailo_ in Quenya, with the masculine ending _-
              o_? Or
              > possibly _Pessailo_ with assimilation rs > ss, but this
              assimilation (known
              > from the historical phonological evolution) may perhaps be ignored
              in more
              > recent compounds.
              >
              > > What I have is "vórima ve" which I've gathered to mean
              "Faithful
              > like",
              >
              > Yes, that should work. Or you can use _voronda ve..._.
              >
              > - HKF

              Thanks a lot, that's very helpful.
              --Ertuile