Re: Ómatehtar & Sindarin again

  • Mach Hezan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      I wrote:
      > > The (inconsistent) solutions I like best: (a) use anna with to
      > > points below for -i; (b) use yanta for -i, represent -e with a
      > > tehta.

      Lucy answered:
      > What do these two 'underdots' represent? Where are they used? I am
      > just trying to learn...

      They're taken from the Quenya mode where they represent a following /y/. For
      example in the transcription of Namaarie (DTS 20) we have anna with two dots
      above for initial /y/. I analyze this the following way: Anna in that mode
      is a kind of a carrier, i.e. a mute letter that isn't read. Only the two
      points above are read, the (following) /y/. Carrier + following /y/ = /y/.
      The same analysis can be made in the Sindarin mode you propose.

      I've thought of a third possible solution for the diphthongs in that
      Sindarin mode: Write diphthongs ending on -i with yanta, diphthongs ending
      on -e with the stemless calma (the c-shaped tengwa).

      > BTW, I am well aware of the inconsistency. Until some more material
      > is published, I will probably have to come to terms with using
      > Gondor mode (using just quessetéma), vrrr, although it will be very
      > hard for me. It means I have to re-transcribe my poem. Since none
      > has commented it I suppose it is completely incorrect because I
      > used the mode that has no evidence.

      A mode that isn't evidenced by Tolkien IMO doesn't need to be incorrect. It
      can still be a good consistent mode or a bad inconsistent mode. I haven't
      looked very atently at your transcription, because I don't know much
      Sindarin, but since there are no diphthongs, I suppose it's all right.

      suilaid
      mach
    • Mach Hezan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
        B.Philip Jonsson wrote:
        > I use the following tengwar for the second part of diphthongs:
        >
        > -e Yanta
        > -i Anna
        > -u Úre
        >
        > And then Anna with two dots below for initial _i_ before a vowel
        > and for _i_ between two vowels.

        Why anna and not yanta? (as in KL III)

        suilaid
        Mach