Re: Ómatehtar & Sindarin again

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      Teithant Mach:
      > Sindarin has diphthongs that end on -i. This is a palatal sound.
      > Accordingly, the tengwa used for its representation in KL III,
      > anna, belongs to the palatal téma of that mode.

      And diphtongs ending with –e (AE, OE) and –u/-w (AU/AW). For –e
      diphthongs, I would use yanta and A tehta. As far as I remember, you
      suggested to use úre and A tehta for AU/AW.

      > So you'll have to find another way of representing the diphthongs
      that end on -i.

      You also suggested using vala for W (I was wondering if vala is used
      in the middle of words and wilya in the end) so if I need a tengwa
      from 6th tyeller representing a palatal sound that could be used for
      a tengwa in a diphthong, the only remained is wilya. Would this
      work???? I don'T think so and either do you BMO, according to the
      following:

      > The (inconsistent) solutions I like best: (a) use anna with to
      > points below for -i; (b) use yanta for -i, represent -e with a
      > tehta.

      What do these two 'underdots' represent? Where are they used? I am
      just trying to learn...

      BTW, I am well aware of the inconsistency. Until some more material
      is published, I will probably have to come to terms with using Gondor
      mode (using just quessetéma), vrrr, although it will be very hard for
      me. It means I have to re-transcribe my poem. Since none has
      commented it I suppose it is completely incorrect because I used the
      mode that has no evidence.

      Thanks for your comments and help; I have a great regard for it.

      Lucy
    • Mach Hezan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        I wrote:
        > > The (inconsistent) solutions I like best: (a) use anna with to
        > > points below for -i; (b) use yanta for -i, represent -e with a
        > > tehta.

        Lucy answered:
        > What do these two 'underdots' represent? Where are they used? I am
        > just trying to learn...

        They're taken from the Quenya mode where they represent a following /y/. For
        example in the transcription of Namaarie (DTS 20) we have anna with two dots
        above for initial /y/. I analyze this the following way: Anna in that mode
        is a kind of a carrier, i.e. a mute letter that isn't read. Only the two
        points above are read, the (following) /y/. Carrier + following /y/ = /y/.
        The same analysis can be made in the Sindarin mode you propose.

        I've thought of a third possible solution for the diphthongs in that
        Sindarin mode: Write diphthongs ending on -i with yanta, diphthongs ending
        on -e with the stemless calma (the c-shaped tengwa).

        > BTW, I am well aware of the inconsistency. Until some more material
        > is published, I will probably have to come to terms with using
        > Gondor mode (using just quessetéma), vrrr, although it will be very
        > hard for me. It means I have to re-transcribe my poem. Since none
        > has commented it I suppose it is completely incorrect because I
        > used the mode that has no evidence.

        A mode that isn't evidenced by Tolkien IMO doesn't need to be incorrect. It
        can still be a good consistent mode or a bad inconsistent mode. I haven't
        looked very atently at your transcription, because I don't know much
        Sindarin, but since there are no diphthongs, I suppose it's all right.

        suilaid
        mach
      • Mach Hezan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
          B.Philip Jonsson wrote:
          > I use the following tengwar for the second part of diphthongs:
          >
          > -e Yanta
          > -i Anna
          > -u Úre
          >
          > And then Anna with two dots below for initial _i_ before a vowel
          > and for _i_ between two vowels.

          Why anna and not yanta? (as in KL III)

          suilaid
          Mach