Ómatehtar & Sindarin again

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
      Oh, I'm saved, I can use ómatehtar for Sindarin! J
      But still I have some unanswered questions. I know that some of them
      are already answered but they refer to the mode using quessetéma
      only, denying the calmatéma, which I don't agree with. So I would
      like to make sure about other pieces:

      1.Do we assume that in this mode, even diphthongs are treated as
      2 `separate' vowels OR does one write the diphthongs as seen in the
      King's Letter III? What if I want to write _i aur_, do I put down
      SC+I tehta-SC+A tehta+SC+U tehta-óre (SC=short carrier)? It doesn't
      look good (as guys in 2727 and 2728 messages agree as well). Though,
      some other suggestions?

      2.When the consonant is geminate, do we use a tehta for the second
      consonant OR do we write out two tengwar, e.g. _mellon_ as A) malta +
      E tehta above lambe + lambe + O tehta above númen or B) malta + E
      tehta above lambe that has a tehta inside [some kind of a dot, I
      don't know the appropriate name of it] + O tehta above númen
      (actually the Beleriand mode, right?)???

      3.If you'd agree that both calmatéma and quessetéma were used, then
      in a word like _Gwirith_ no W tilde has to be used because GW is
      expressed by ungwe itself? I assume that in the King's Letter III,
      ungwe plus the tilde was used because ungwe represented solitary G.

      Any answer is appreciated. I have some texts in Sindarin that I would
      like to transcribe in Tengwar but don't want to show it needlessly
      incorrectly.

      Thanks. Lucy
    • gildir_2
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
        Calwen Rudh wrote:

        > Oh, I'm saved, I can use ómatehtar for Sindarin! J
        > But still I have some unanswered questions. [...]

        Perhaps our guide for Sindarin answers some of them?

        http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html

        Suilaid!
        Gildir, Per Lindberg
      • Calwen Rudh
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "gildir_2" <gildir_2@y...> wrote:
          > Calwen Rudh wrote:
          >
          > > Oh, I'm saved, I can use ómatehtar for Sindarin! J
          > > But still I have some unanswered questions. [...]
          >
          > Perhaps our guide for Sindarin answers some of them?
          >
          > http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
          >
          > Suilaid!
          > Gildir, Per Lindberg

          Thanks a lot but I have this one and although I find it very nice,
          the tehta mode presented there is based on the KL, as I wrote,
          denying the use of calmatéma which I don't agree with. I think that
          in a tehta mode, both calmatéma and quessetéma could have been used.
          Your overview is counting only with quessetéma as seen in the KL.

          I am still wavering about the diphthongs. Some of you advanced say
          they are treated as two separate vowels in Tengwar but I have a
          different feeling. I think that the diphthongs of KL III are used
          also in the tehta mode for Sindarin, BMVHO it could be an interstage
          between tehta mode of the First Age (or Second Age) - i.e. diphthong
          is transcribed separately - and full writing mode. But it is just a
          foolish idea.

          But you're nice, thanks again.
          Suilad, Lucy