Re: [elfscript] Hi! New Man in Middle-Earth

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
      Mae govannen, Kedar!

      In my opinion, Måns Björkman's site, 'Amanye Tenceli', is the best
      tengwar site on the web. Måns is also a member of this list. Visit his
      site at http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/ and see if you don't agree! (I
      hope you don't mind the plug, Måns!)

      Cuio mae! Danny.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
        > Hi,
        > Kedar here!
        > I want to learn the Tengwar and speak in it but I am
        > not able to find
        > a suitable site for it.
        > Can anybody help me out with it?

        Mae govannen, Cedar!
        there are some sites that can help you master the
        Tengwar but first of all you must study the Appendix E
        to the LOTR :) If you have the unappendiced version we
        can offer you some help...

        till then I propose those sites:

        http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/tengwar/index.htm
        Some info on the various tengwar modes and fonts to
        download.

        http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at
        About the Sarati, English Tengwar, calligraphy rules
        and other trivia.

        http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
        Maybe the best you can find. Detailed info on Quenya
        and Sindarin modes with exercises.

        http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/pdf/history_of_writing.pdf
        A historical analysis of the Tengwar. I wrote it :)
        Its a somehow old version, I can send you the latest
        version with examples if you want.

        http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/020201.html
        A pdf file with trivia on the writing systems that
        Tolkien used and invented.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • David Nowakowski
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
          >I want to learn the Tengwar and speak in it but I am not able to find
          >a suitable site for it.
          > Can anybody help me out with it?

          I would begin of course with the appendix to LotR, and then check out these
          links:

          http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/
          http://haldailin.angasule.cjb.net/
          http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/index.html

          You mention being able to "speak in" the Tengwar. The Tengwar is just a
          writing system which can be used in various modes for English and other
          real-world languages, as well as for Tolkien's Quenya and others. If you
          are interested in Tolkien's languages, then check out
          http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/

          I hope some of these are of help to you.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2001
            As well as the Elfling email list.

            For the list of the messages.

            Mike