Re: [elfscript] Can anyone help? (Chris!)

  • Chris Ruzin
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2003
      On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 05:02 PM, phcats24 wrote:
      > Ok, I got that verification you recommended and here is what the
      > woman told me "The symbols above the characters, called tehtars,
      > represent vowel sounds. The symbols for vowels go on top of the
      > letter just before the vowel in the word. Since 'Amdir' starts with
      > a vowel, the symbol for the "A" needs something to go on top of. It
      > can't go on top of the symbol for the "m" because that would
      > spell 'Madir.' It needs a symbol called a carrier, which looks like
      > an "i" without a dot. In your case, the carrier needs three dots
      > over it to represent the "a" sound. "  She gave me her idea of what
      > it should look like, but I am unable to get the font to install on
      > my computer, so I couldn't see what she thought it should look like
      > to compare.  Does this make any sense to you Chris, because I feel
      > like I am back in highschool learning Japanese, except Japanese was
      > EASIER!  :)

      Whoever you're getting your information from is thinking in terms of
      Quenya, not Sindarin. In Sindarin, the a-tehta over the malta is
      correct. Sindarin is read (roughly speaking) top down, left to right.
      Quenya is read bottom up, left to right.

      I'm positive what I wrote is correct in Sindarin. If it was a Quenya
      word, then yes, she would be correct.

      Thanks,
      Chris

      --
      Chris Ruzin
      www.chrisruzin.net

    • phcats24
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23, 2003
        I asked her that and she never responded, so I am going with your
        drawing! Thank you so much again! I will send you a pic of my
        tattoo once its done!

        Sarah