Hi! New Man in Middle-Earth

  • kedarnath_r@rediffmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
      Hi,
      Kedar here!
      I want to learn the Tengwar and speak in it but I am not able to find
      a suitable site for it.
      Can anybody help me out with it?

      Kedar
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
        Mae govannen, Kedar!

        In my opinion, Måns Björkman's site, 'Amanye Tenceli', is the best
        tengwar site on the web. Måns is also a member of this list. Visit his
        site at http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/ and see if you don't agree! (I
        hope you don't mind the plug, Måns!)

        Cuio mae! Danny.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
          > Hi,
          > Kedar here!
          > I want to learn the Tengwar and speak in it but I am
          > not able to find
          > a suitable site for it.
          > Can anybody help me out with it?

          Mae govannen, Cedar!
          there are some sites that can help you master the
          Tengwar but first of all you must study the Appendix E
          to the LOTR :) If you have the unappendiced version we
          can offer you some help...

          till then I propose those sites:

          http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/tengwar/index.htm
          Some info on the various tengwar modes and fonts to
          download.

          http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at
          About the Sarati, English Tengwar, calligraphy rules
          and other trivia.

          http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
          Maybe the best you can find. Detailed info on Quenya
          and Sindarin modes with exercises.

          http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/pdf/history_of_writing.pdf
          A historical analysis of the Tengwar. I wrote it :)
          Its a somehow old version, I can send you the latest
          version with examples if you want.

          http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/020201.html
          A pdf file with trivia on the writing systems that
          Tolkien used and invented.

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • David Nowakowski
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2001
            >I want to learn the Tengwar and speak in it but I am not able to find
            >a suitable site for it.
            > Can anybody help me out with it?

            I would begin of course with the appendix to LotR, and then check out these
            links:

            http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/
            http://haldailin.angasule.cjb.net/
            http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/index.html

            You mention being able to "speak in" the Tengwar. The Tengwar is just a
            writing system which can be used in various modes for English and other
            real-world languages, as well as for Tolkien's Quenya and others. If you
            are interested in Tolkien's languages, then check out
            http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/

            I hope some of these are of help to you.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2001
              As well as the Elfling email list.

              For the list of the messages.

              Mike