Re: [elfscript] odd tehta

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 15 5:50 PM
      Måns Björkman deithant:
      Intriguing! Which edition is it,
      more precisely? Would it be
      possible to acquire a scan of this reproduction?

      It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
      also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
      'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
      Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
      written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
      circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
      eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
      version! As for scanning, I'm on WebTV, which is not scanner compatible,
      but I will try to get it done on a friend's computer.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 18 2:27 AM
        DDanielA@... wrote:

        > Måns Björkman deithant:
        > Intriguing! Which edition is it,
        > more precisely? Would it be
        > possible to acquire a scan of this
        > reproduction?
        >
        > It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
        > also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
        > 'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
        > Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
        > written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
        > circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
        > eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
        > version!

        Both my HarperCollins editions (1991 one-volume hardback and 1997
        3-volume paperback) seem to agree with your three-volume
        Houghton-Mifflin edition: the "a" in "as" is three dots, and the "y" in
        "history" appears to be a single dot. This seems to be the more common
        version of the inscription. My guess would be that the one-volume
        Houghton-Mifflin inscription is a redrawn version of the original. The
        artist who made the redrawing probably wanted to correct points that
        seemed ambigous or erroneous, and so "corrected" the y-tehta in
        "history" to the hacek.

        Yrs,
        Måns

        --