A Query

  • killer_queen_of_mordred
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2003
      To any kind enough to respond,

      I have been attempting (notice the use of the word 'attempting') to
      learn an Elven language. Quenya in particular is what I hope to
      eventually learn, but I would also like to learn Sindarin one day as
      well.

      The problem is at this moment in time I have a fairly limited amount
      of internet time. (Thus meaning that I can not devote much time to
      learning it because of this lack of access.) I wish to ask if anyone
      who is a member of this list has seen or heard of a book which I
      could pick up in order to study it in my spare time (i.e. coffee
      breaks, between shifts, etc). And if so, do you have any
      recommendations?

      I'm not sure if anything regarding it CAN be published because of
      copyright laws etc., (i.e. If anyone has asked and been granted
      permission to do so) but I have always believed that there is no
      harm in asking a question, for how else can we learn?

      So in closing, I'd appreciate any assistance you could give me.
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 2003
        I maintain a web page with information on lots of reliable resources
        for the study of Tolkien's languages:

        http://www.elvish.org/resources.html

        including a number of books and journals.

        The best general and introductory book (indeed, the best _book_,
        period) remains _An Introduction to Elvish_ (yes, it is limited to the
        material known before _The Silmarillion_ was published, but what is
        says about that material serves as a very good introduction to the
        study of Tolkien's languages, which can then be rounded out by further
        study of subsequent publications). In particular, it is valuable as an
        introduction to the methods of historical linguistics, to the principle
        phonological developments of Tolkien's main Elvish languages, and as a
        very handy index tp and dictionary of the bits of Elvish found in _The
        Lord of the Rings_. Of particular interest to the topic of this list is
        the in many ways unsurpassed presentation of the _Angerthas_ and the
        _Tengwar_.

        I would also point out that other valuable web-based resources can be
        downloaded to your computer and/or printed out, for offline perusing.

        Enjoy!
      • killer_queen_of_mordred
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2003
          Thank you! You have no idea how grateful I am for your help,
          honestly. Now hopefully I'll obtain the book you recommended soon
          and really begin to study. Yes, I agree it would have been easier to
          simply print it all out, but as I said in my original query, I have
          limited access- meaning, no computer and printer with internet
          access. I beg, borrow and steal internet time where ever I possibly
          can. Anyways, I have no illusions that I will ever learn all that is
          available on it, but at least now I can attempt to do so. Once
          again, I humbly thank you for your assistance.

          Sincerely
          -Veresti

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>