Re: [elfscript] odd tehta

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 12, 2001
      Måns Björkman deithant:
      DDanielA@... wrote:
      Please allow me to add one more:
      LotR title-page (in "history")
      shape: V
      transcription: <y>
      sound : [i]

      In my copies of The Lord of the Rings
      the y-tehta in "history" is conflated
      with, and partly obscured by, the
      previous o-tehta, and to me it looks
      more like a single dot. But perhaps
      the text is reproduced more clearly in
      other editions. Are you sure about your
      interpretation, Danny?

      Yes, quite. This particular edition is a hardback edition where the
      title page inscription is reproduced larger and less 'compressed' than
      in the Ballantine paperback version. The inscription is very clear.
      Actually to be honest, the y-tehta looks more like a 'check mark' than a
      V; the left 'leg' is shorter than the right, but it seems that that's
      because the o-tehta doesn't allow the left leg to extend up as far as it
      should.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2001
        DDanielA@... wrote:

        > Yes, quite. This particular edition is a hardback edition where the
        > title page inscription is reproduced larger and less 'compressed' than
        > in the Ballantine paperback version. The inscription is very clear.

        Intriguing! Which edition is it, more precisely? Would it be possible to
        acquire a scan of this reproduction? (I think that would be a clear case
        of fair use.)

        > Actually to be honest, the y-tehta looks more like a 'check mark' than a
        > V; the left 'leg' is shorter than the right, but it seems that that's
        > because the o-tehta doesn't allow the left leg to extend up as far as it
        > should.

        In the copies I have access to, the y-tehta in "by" also has a shorter
        left "leg". Perhaps this is after all a characteristic trait of the
        tehta?

        Yours,
        Måns

        --
        Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
        Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2001
          Måns Björkman deithant:
          Intriguing! Which edition is it,
          more precisely? Would it be
          possible to acquire a scan of this reproduction?

          It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
          also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
          'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
          Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
          written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
          circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
          eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
          version! As for scanning, I'm on WebTV, which is not scanner compatible,
          but I will try to get it done on a friend's computer.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Mans Bjorkman
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 18, 2001
            DDanielA@... wrote:

            > Måns Björkman deithant:
            > Intriguing! Which edition is it,
            > more precisely? Would it be
            > possible to acquire a scan of this
            > reproduction?
            >
            > It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
            > also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
            > 'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
            > Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
            > written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
            > circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
            > eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
            > version!

            Both my HarperCollins editions (1991 one-volume hardback and 1997
            3-volume paperback) seem to agree with your three-volume
            Houghton-Mifflin edition: the "a" in "as" is three dots, and the "y" in
            "history" appears to be a single dot. This seems to be the more common
            version of the inscription. My guess would be that the one-volume
            Houghton-Mifflin inscription is a redrawn version of the original. The
            artist who made the redrawing probably wanted to correct points that
            seemed ambigous or erroneous, and so "corrected" the y-tehta in
            "history" to the hacek.

            Yrs,
            Måns