Re: [elfscript] odd tehta

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 12, 2001
      DDanielA@... wrote:

      > Please allow me to add one more:
      > LotR title-page (in "history")
      > shape: V
      > transcription: <y>
      > sound: [i]

      In my copies of The Lord of the Rings the y-tehta in "history" is
      conflated with, and partly obscured by, the previous o-tehta, and to me
      it looks more like a single dot. But perhaps the text is reproduced more
      clearly in other editions. Are you sure about your interpretation,
      Danny?

      Yours,
      Måns

      --
      Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
      Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 12, 2001
        Måns Björkman deithant:
        DDanielA@... wrote:
        Please allow me to add one more:
        LotR title-page (in "history")
        shape: V
        transcription: <y>
        sound : [i]

        In my copies of The Lord of the Rings
        the y-tehta in "history" is conflated
        with, and partly obscured by, the
        previous o-tehta, and to me it looks
        more like a single dot. But perhaps
        the text is reproduced more clearly in
        other editions. Are you sure about your
        interpretation, Danny?

        Yes, quite. This particular edition is a hardback edition where the
        title page inscription is reproduced larger and less 'compressed' than
        in the Ballantine paperback version. The inscription is very clear.
        Actually to be honest, the y-tehta looks more like a 'check mark' than a
        V; the left 'leg' is shorter than the right, but it seems that that's
        because the o-tehta doesn't allow the left leg to extend up as far as it
        should.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Mans Bjorkman
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 13, 2001
          DDanielA@... wrote:

          > Yes, quite. This particular edition is a hardback edition where the
          > title page inscription is reproduced larger and less 'compressed' than
          > in the Ballantine paperback version. The inscription is very clear.

          Intriguing! Which edition is it, more precisely? Would it be possible to
          acquire a scan of this reproduction? (I think that would be a clear case
          of fair use.)

          > Actually to be honest, the y-tehta looks more like a 'check mark' than a
          > V; the left 'leg' is shorter than the right, but it seems that that's
          > because the o-tehta doesn't allow the left leg to extend up as far as it
          > should.

          In the copies I have access to, the y-tehta in "by" also has a shorter
          left "leg". Perhaps this is after all a characteristic trait of the
          tehta?

          Yours,
          Måns

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2001
            Måns Björkman deithant:
            Intriguing! Which edition is it,
            more precisely? Would it be
            possible to acquire a scan of this reproduction?

            It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
            also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
            'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
            Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
            written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
            circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
            eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
            version! As for scanning, I'm on WebTV, which is not scanner compatible,
            but I will try to get it done on a friend's computer.

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • Mans Bjorkman
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 18, 2001
              DDanielA@... wrote:

              > Måns Björkman deithant:
              > Intriguing! Which edition is it,
              > more precisely? Would it be
              > possible to acquire a scan of this
              > reproduction?
              >
              > It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
              > also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
              > 'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
              > Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
              > written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
              > circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
              > eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
              > version!

              Both my HarperCollins editions (1991 one-volume hardback and 1997
              3-volume paperback) seem to agree with your three-volume
              Houghton-Mifflin edition: the "a" in "as" is three dots, and the "y" in
              "history" appears to be a single dot. This seems to be the more common
              version of the inscription. My guess would be that the one-volume
              Houghton-Mifflin inscription is a redrawn version of the original. The
              artist who made the redrawing probably wanted to correct points that
              seemed ambigous or erroneous, and so "corrected" the y-tehta in
              "history" to the hacek.

              Yrs,
              Måns