Re: [elfscript] odd tehta

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2001
      Måns Björkman deithant:

      Letter #118 (in "very happy")
      shape: 'breve'
      transcription: <y>
      sound: [i]
      LotR title-page (in "by")
      shape: V
      transcription: <y>
      sound: [ai]

      Please allow me to add one more:
      LotR title-page (in "history")
      shape: V
      transcription: <y>
      sound: [i]

      So I agree that this tehta (and its variants) is a concession to
      orthography as it represents a written vocalic 'y' regardless of the
      vowel sound in the spoken word.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 12, 2001
        DDanielA@... wrote:

        > Please allow me to add one more:
        > LotR title-page (in "history")
        > shape: V
        > transcription: <y>
        > sound: [i]

        In my copies of The Lord of the Rings the y-tehta in "history" is
        conflated with, and partly obscured by, the previous o-tehta, and to me
        it looks more like a single dot. But perhaps the text is reproduced more
        clearly in other editions. Are you sure about your interpretation,
        Danny?

        Yours,
        Måns

        --
        Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
        Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 12, 2001
          Måns Björkman deithant:
          DDanielA@... wrote:
          Please allow me to add one more:
          LotR title-page (in "history")
          shape: V
          transcription: <y>
          sound : [i]

          In my copies of The Lord of the Rings
          the y-tehta in "history" is conflated
          with, and partly obscured by, the
          previous o-tehta, and to me it looks
          more like a single dot. But perhaps
          the text is reproduced more clearly in
          other editions. Are you sure about your
          interpretation, Danny?

          Yes, quite. This particular edition is a hardback edition where the
          title page inscription is reproduced larger and less 'compressed' than
          in the Ballantine paperback version. The inscription is very clear.
          Actually to be honest, the y-tehta looks more like a 'check mark' than a
          V; the left 'leg' is shorter than the right, but it seems that that's
          because the o-tehta doesn't allow the left leg to extend up as far as it
          should.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Mans Bjorkman
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 13, 2001
            DDanielA@... wrote:

            > Yes, quite. This particular edition is a hardback edition where the
            > title page inscription is reproduced larger and less 'compressed' than
            > in the Ballantine paperback version. The inscription is very clear.

            Intriguing! Which edition is it, more precisely? Would it be possible to
            acquire a scan of this reproduction? (I think that would be a clear case
            of fair use.)

            > Actually to be honest, the y-tehta looks more like a 'check mark' than a
            > V; the left 'leg' is shorter than the right, but it seems that that's
            > because the o-tehta doesn't allow the left leg to extend up as far as it
            > should.

            In the copies I have access to, the y-tehta in "by" also has a shorter
            left "leg". Perhaps this is after all a characteristic trait of the
            tehta?

            Yours,
            Måns

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2001
              Måns Björkman deithant:
              Intriguing! Which edition is it,
              more precisely? Would it be
              possible to acquire a scan of this reproduction?

              It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
              also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
              'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
              Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
              written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
              circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
              eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
              version! As for scanning, I'm on WebTV, which is not scanner compatible,
              but I will try to get it done on a friend's computer.

              Cuio mae, Danny.
            • Mans Bjorkman
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 18, 2001
                DDanielA@... wrote:

                > Måns Björkman deithant:
                > Intriguing! Which edition is it,
                > more precisely? Would it be
                > possible to acquire a scan of this
                > reproduction?
                >
                > It is a Houghton-Mifflin edition, one large volume. Strangely enough, I
                > also have a three-book set by Houghton-Mifflin, and in these, the 'y' in
                > 'history' is a dot. There is another difference in the two different
                > Houghton-Mifflin versions: In the three-book set, the 'a' in 'as' is
                > written with the three-dot tehta, but in the one-volume edition, a
                > circumflex was used. Apparently the tehtar in one of the two different
                > eitions were changed, but I'm not sure why, or which was the original
                > version!

                Both my HarperCollins editions (1991 one-volume hardback and 1997
                3-volume paperback) seem to agree with your three-volume
                Houghton-Mifflin edition: the "a" in "as" is three dots, and the "y" in
                "history" appears to be a single dot. This seems to be the more common
                version of the inscription. My guess would be that the one-volume
                Houghton-Mifflin inscription is a redrawn version of the original. The
                artist who made the redrawing probably wanted to correct points that
                seemed ambigous or erroneous, and so "corrected" the y-tehta in
                "history" to the hacek.

                Yrs,
                Måns