Re: Tengwar Challenge 7

  • Mach Hezan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
      I've found only one thing I'd suggest to change: I think the second 'e' in
      'never' should be represented with a subscript point (like any 'e' in the
      '-er' ending).

      I especially like _silme-vala_ in 'sweat'. I would have chosen a subscript
      modified left curl, assuming that silme, in analogy to hyarmen, could bear
      its tehtas below instead of above. But your solution is less speculative.

      Doesn't 'worthy' have a voiceless 'th' (at least that's what my RP
      dictionary tells me)?

      And another thing I'd have done different is the representation of 'ee'. But
      that's you choice. I don't like short carriers and I believe in the
      principle of one-sign analysis, you don't like doubled tehtar and you prefer
      esthetics to possible principles.

      suilaid
      mach
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
        Teithant Mach Hezan:
        >Doesn't 'worthy' have a voiceless 'th' (at least that's
        >what my RP dictionary tells me)?

        'Worthy' has a voiced 'th'. 'Worth' has a voiceless 'th'.

        >And another thing I'd have done different is the
        >representation of 'ee'. But that's you choice.
        >I don't like short carriers and I believe in the principle
        >of one-sign analysis, you don't like doubled
        >tehtar and you prefer esthetics to possible
        >principles.

        I think Chris is thinking less of both aesthetics and possible
        principles than he is of attested examples. We know that Tolkien used
        the doubled short carriers with acute accent tehtar for 'ee' in 'seen'
        in the title page. The use of the doubled acute accent tehta for 'ee' is
        indeed logical, but unattested. If this is Chris's reason, then I agree
        with his choice; an attested example by Tolkien takes precedence over
        speculative alternatives.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Chris Ruzin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
          MACH WROTE:

          > I've found only one thing I'd suggest to change: I think the second
          > 'e' in
          > 'never' should be represented with a subscript point (like any 'e' in
          > the
          > '-er' ending).

          This is a good point. I'm not sure why I wrote it differently.

          > I especially like _silme-vala_ in 'sweat'. I would have chosen a
          > subscript
          > modified left curl, assuming that silme, in analogy to hyarmen, could
          > bear
          > its tehtas below instead of above. But your solution is less
          > speculative.

          Which is why I wrote it that way. It's easier to read and seems more
          logical. Of course, if JRRT wrote it differently, then I will too.

          DANNY WROTE:

          > I think Chris is thinking less of both aesthetics and possible
          > principles than he is of attested examples.

          This is correct. I've always tried to stick as close as possible with
          what I've seen JRRT do. Remember, I used to write "to" out like CJRT,
          but changed when I saw JRRT wrote it differently. This is hard though,
          because JRRT didn't write English in a tehta mode that often. There
          are more examples of full modes, at least as far as I know. And
          whenever he did use a tehta mode, he wrote it out phonetically. This
          is hard to read, IMHO.

          Thanks for the comments and feedback! I really appreciate it.

          Chris

          --
          Chris Ruzin
          www.chrisruzin.net