Tengwar Challenge 7

  • Chris Ruzin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
      Alright, the 7th Tengwar Challenge is up. There are no words in it
      that I am unsure about, which is a first. I may have written a couple
      wrong, but I don't think so. If they are wrong, they're not obvious.

      Take a look and give me your comments.

      Thanks,
      Chris

      --
      Chris Ruzin
      www.chrisruzin.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
        I've found only one thing I'd suggest to change: I think the second 'e' in
        'never' should be represented with a subscript point (like any 'e' in the
        '-er' ending).

        I especially like _silme-vala_ in 'sweat'. I would have chosen a subscript
        modified left curl, assuming that silme, in analogy to hyarmen, could bear
        its tehtas below instead of above. But your solution is less speculative.

        Doesn't 'worthy' have a voiceless 'th' (at least that's what my RP
        dictionary tells me)?

        And another thing I'd have done different is the representation of 'ee'. But
        that's you choice. I don't like short carriers and I believe in the
        principle of one-sign analysis, you don't like doubled tehtar and you prefer
        esthetics to possible principles.

        suilaid
        mach
      • DDanielA@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
          Teithant Mach Hezan:
          >Doesn't 'worthy' have a voiceless 'th' (at least that's
          >what my RP dictionary tells me)?

          'Worthy' has a voiced 'th'. 'Worth' has a voiceless 'th'.

          >And another thing I'd have done different is the
          >representation of 'ee'. But that's you choice.
          >I don't like short carriers and I believe in the principle
          >of one-sign analysis, you don't like doubled
          >tehtar and you prefer esthetics to possible
          >principles.

          I think Chris is thinking less of both aesthetics and possible
          principles than he is of attested examples. We know that Tolkien used
          the doubled short carriers with acute accent tehtar for 'ee' in 'seen'
          in the title page. The use of the doubled acute accent tehta for 'ee' is
          indeed logical, but unattested. If this is Chris's reason, then I agree
          with his choice; an attested example by Tolkien takes precedence over
          speculative alternatives.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Chris Ruzin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
            MACH WROTE:

            > I've found only one thing I'd suggest to change: I think the second
            > 'e' in
            > 'never' should be represented with a subscript point (like any 'e' in
            > the
            > '-er' ending).

            This is a good point. I'm not sure why I wrote it differently.

            > I especially like _silme-vala_ in 'sweat'. I would have chosen a
            > subscript
            > modified left curl, assuming that silme, in analogy to hyarmen, could
            > bear
            > its tehtas below instead of above. But your solution is less
            > speculative.

            Which is why I wrote it that way. It's easier to read and seems more
            logical. Of course, if JRRT wrote it differently, then I will too.

            DANNY WROTE:

            > I think Chris is thinking less of both aesthetics and possible
            > principles than he is of attested examples.

            This is correct. I've always tried to stick as close as possible with
            what I've seen JRRT do. Remember, I used to write "to" out like CJRT,
            but changed when I saw JRRT wrote it differently. This is hard though,
            because JRRT didn't write English in a tehta mode that often. There
            are more examples of full modes, at least as far as I know. And
            whenever he did use a tehta mode, he wrote it out phonetically. This
            is hard to read, IMHO.

            Thanks for the comments and feedback! I really appreciate it.

            Chris

            --
            Chris Ruzin
            www.chrisruzin.net