Re: Tengwar Challenge 6

  • Mach Hezan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
      > > The 'ea' in 'treason, sea' on one hand and in 'fear' on the
      > > other hand should be spelled the same way; I assume you've
      > > misspelled 'fear'.
      >
      > In your earlier post about what tengwa or tehta to use for
      > different letters and their combinations, you mentioned that the
      > "ea" in "real" should be split. It sounded similar to the "ea"
      > in "fear", so I split it. I only did it when the "ea" was
      > followed by an "l" or "r" though. I take it I was mistaken. Why
      > split "real" and not "fear"?

      Now I see your reason. You have a good ear when you hear that
      'real' and 'fear' have a similar sound. Now when you compare the
      vowel of 'real' with the one of 'wheel', then you'll note a
      difference: The vowel of 'real' is split up into two sounds, while
      the vowel of 'wheel' is a pure vowel. (Well, some English speakers
      also split that one up, but that's a secondary development, while
      'real' has two different vowels originally.)

      Now compare the vowel of 'fear' with the one of 'beer'. They're
      the same. It's true that for most English speakers, they have a
      similar sound like the one heard in 'real', but this is a
      secondary development that happens when a vowel like the one in
      'sea, bee' is followed by an 'r'. The vowel of 'fear' may happen
      to sound similar to the vowel of 'real', but because of very
      different reasons: In the case of 'real', two different vowels are
      pronounced because in this specific word, the <e> and the <a>
      don't belong together (cf. the same word in Spanish, French,
      German, etc.); in the case of 'fear', the <ea> belongs together
      but two different vowels may be pronounced because the 'r' has an
      influence on the preceding vowel sound (represented by <ea> in
      this word).

      suilaid
      mach
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2003
        Oddly, the ea and ee in Fear and Beer, are actually more, atleast in
        how I say them, much more like I..

        FIR or maybe FI'ER

        While the EA in Treason, is more like the EE in Tree..

        Maybe why English spelling is in serious need for reform. But it is
        not likely to happen, since there is to a degree no standard for
        English. Other than maybe BBC English and General American (News
        Announcers English?).

        Mike