Re: [elfscript] Legolas' Song to the Sea

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2003
      Teithant elfie0313:
      >i've been writing in tengwar for about 6 months
      >now, and i think i've gotten it pretty much down, so
      >i was hoping for some input on how my quenya
      >tengwar writing is, and how i could improve.
      >i posted my transcription of Legolas' Song to
      >the Sea in the photos section, so if anyone has
      >some extra time and could take a look at it, i would
      >really appreciate it!

      It doesn't show up very big on my browser, so I couldn't see it real
      well, but what I could make out looked right except for one thing: the
      'h' at the beginning of _hlápua_ and _hláralye_ should be written as
      halla instead of hyarmen.

      "For breath h Quenya originally used a
      simple raised stem without bow, called halla 'tall'. This could
      be placed before a consonant to indicate it was unvoiced and
      breathed; voiceless r and i were usually so expressed and are
      transcribed hr, hl." (LotR, Appendix E)