Re: Another Tengwar Resource

  • Lola Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2001
      --- In elfscript@y..., Dan Smith <fontmaster.geo@y...> wrote:

      > I was poking around www.theonering.net and found the following 13
      page
      > essay on the alphabets of Middle-earth. It is a 402KB PDF, and I
      think it
      > is worth a look:
      >
      > http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/writing.pdf

      Any chance you can somehow make the fonts available on Mac platform?
      I have ATM which is supposed to be able to read .ttf fonts; I tried
      using your fonts but it doesn't work. I've been told that OS X will
      use Windows .ttf fonts but I won't be upgrading for a while yet.

      Lola
    • vicentin@arena.sci.univr.it
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2001
        Scrive Dan Smith <fontmaster.geo@...>:

        > I was poking around www.theonering.net and found the following 13 page
        >
        > essay on the alphabets of Middle-earth. It is a 402KB PDF, and I think
        > it
        > is worth a look:
        >
        > http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/writing.pdf

        Well,

        That article is a bit outdated. TengTeX 1.10 has already been
        release on the 22th of September 2000 (and yes, it includes a new tengwar
        fonts reminescent of Knuth's Computer Modern typefaces).

        If any of you like TengTeX you can find an unofficial patched
        version at arena.sci.univr.it/~vicentin/ (there's no home page yet,
        sorry); it's integrated with LaTeX's NFSS but it's still usable with Plain
        TeX.

        In the future (I don't know when) I'll put on line a webpage and
        probably the LaTeX package I'm working on to use the various cirth mode.

        --

        Saluti,
        Emanuele.

        "He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also
        liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting..."
        -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
      • Lola Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2001
          About my question as to whether you would supply a Mac version in the
          future, never mind! I did some searching and found TTConverter, and
          also the font tools by FontLab. If you don't mind, can I try creating
          a Mac version of your font sets so that you can distribute on your
          website? I plan to get FontTools, since it seems complete enough for
          my needs (I don't need a full-fledged font editing program at this
          time).

          Lola
        • Dan Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2001
            At 7/26/01 07:49 AM, lola@... wrote:
            >Any chance you can somehow make the fonts available on Mac platform?

            Sorry. My font programs can create only Windows fonts.