Need Guidance - Quenya Name Translation

  • kmccurlie
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2003
      Hi there!

      I'm trying to translate my first two names into Quenya, which I'll
      then get a tattoo of... I just wanted to see if anyone would help
      me out and let me know if I'm on the right track...

      I translated the names from "Kara Patricia" into "Melde Calle"
      using the quenya lapseparma website. Another website I visited
      told me that I should use an "ë" instead of a plain "e" to make
      the names feminine, so I've come up with Meldë Callë. Then I
      went to the online Tengwar transcriber, and typed the two words
      in Quenya, to have them displayed on the screen in Quenya
      format.

      I'm using a Mac, so I haven't been able to actually download the
      fonts to display what I have so far, so unfortunately I can't show
      you what I have. The website wouldn't let me cut and paste the
      image it produced.

      If anyone could let me know if "Meldë Callë" is the right
      translation, I'd really appreciate it. If you respond to this
      message, and my translation is wrong somehow, perhaps you'll
      be able to show me what it should be. The one from the website
      [http://tengwar.art.pl/ott/start.php?l=en] is what I have so far.

      Thanks so much for your time if you are reading this. I feel so
      guilty asking for help this way... I've been trying really hard to
      figure this out on my own, but I need some help to make sure I'm
      on the right track. I'm sure you can understand - I don't want to
      get my name tattooed on me if it's wrong, so posting this
      message is my last hope. Figuring this all out would mean so
      much to me. :o)

      - Kara
    • machhezan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29, 2003
        Kara wrote:

        > If anyone could let me know if "Meldë Callë" is the right
        > translation, I'd really appreciate it.

        I'm sorry I can't, but I can tell you that the website you've chosen
        gives the right transcription, but only if you've chosen 'Quenya'
        after 'mode (input lang.)'.

        suilaid
        mach
      • lierontaure
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2003
          Hi Kara! It's nice to meet you! :-) From what I've seen, the
          quenya lapseparma site does a good job. As for the other site, it
          is the e itself that makes it feminine (m) callo. Adding the
          dieresis (ë) is optional, but with or without the dieresis, it
          looks the same either way when written in tengwar.

          As for the online transcriber...I'm on a mac too, and I can't
          see the tengwar font there. I copied what it did produce and
          brought it into another program and changed it into the tengwar
          cursive font that I do have, and it looks to me that it is missing an
          `l' in Callë, reading Calë. Don't know if it's
          just a font compatibility problem, but it should look like this...

          http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL118/906573/1671294/32827488.j
          pg

          I hope that link works...you may have to copy and paste it in the
          address bar. ;-) And I'm sure someone will be along to confirm
          or deny my accuracy. ;-D

          Best of luck!
          E.L.
        • Chris Ruzin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2003
            I'm also on a Mac, but I have Tengwar Sindarin, Quenya (and its
            sub-fonts), Noldor (and its sub-fonts), Cursive and Parmaite all
            working fine. You know you can download a TrueType font, even if it's
            noted it's for use with PCs and use it in OS X.

            I do all of my transcripting in TextEdit. If you need the fonts, let
            me know, and I'll send them to you.

            Chris

            --
            Chris Ruzin
            www.chrisruzin.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "lierontaure" <eruvere@c...> wrote:
              > Hi Kara! It's nice to meet you! :-) From what I've seen, the
              > quenya lapseparma site does a good job.

              Sorry to disappoint you. The lpseparma site is a Mish-mash site.

              The information presented on it have been INVENTED by its author,
              *not* Tolkien.

              So, if you just want to "play" it is OK. But if you want to
              _undesrtand_ real Elvish, e.g. Tolkien's Elvish it won't help you and
              will only confuse you. Don't use it
            • lierontaure
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
                > Sorry to disappoint you. The lpseparma site is a Mish-mash
                site.

                > The information presented on it have been INVENTED by its
                author,
                > *not* Tolkien.

                Don't worry, you're not disappointing me. :-) I know this is true
                for some of the info there. There are many words that were
                never attested by Tolkien, but I don't think this means that the
                words don't exist. I find this "Mish-mash", as you call it, to be
                very well thought out and logical...using Tolkien's attested words
                as guidance.

                IMHO
                E.L. :-)
              • Kara McCurlie
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Thanks for the response! I just got the internet working on my PC, and I have the fonts in it already. I didn't think I'd be able to use it for a while, and that's why I was so stressed about getting the fonts. Thanks for the offer of sending them to me anyways!

                  Kara

                  Chris Ruzin <chris@...> wrote:
                  I'm also on a Mac, but I have Tengwar Sindarin, Quenya (and its
                  sub-fonts), Noldor (and its sub-fonts), Cursive and Parmaite all
                  working fine. You know you can download a TrueType font, even if it's
                  noted it's for use with PCs and use it in OS X.

                  I do all of my transcripting in TextEdit. If you need the fonts, let
                  me know, and I'll send them to you.

                  Chris

                  --
                  Chris Ruzin