Another Tengwar Resource

  • Dan Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2001
      I was poking around www.theonering.net and found the following 13 page
      essay on the alphabets of Middle-earth. It is a 402KB PDF, and I think it
      is worth a look:

      http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/writing.pdf
    • Lola Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2001
        --- In elfscript@y..., Dan Smith <fontmaster.geo@y...> wrote:

        > I was poking around www.theonering.net and found the following 13
        page
        > essay on the alphabets of Middle-earth. It is a 402KB PDF, and I
        think it
        > is worth a look:
        >
        > http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/writing.pdf

        Any chance you can somehow make the fonts available on Mac platform?
        I have ATM which is supposed to be able to read .ttf fonts; I tried
        using your fonts but it doesn't work. I've been told that OS X will
        use Windows .ttf fonts but I won't be upgrading for a while yet.

        Lola
      • vicentin@arena.sci.univr.it
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2001
          Scrive Dan Smith <fontmaster.geo@...>:

          > I was poking around www.theonering.net and found the following 13 page
          >
          > essay on the alphabets of Middle-earth. It is a 402KB PDF, and I think
          > it
          > is worth a look:
          >
          > http://greenbooks.theonering.net/ostadan/files/writing.pdf

          Well,

          That article is a bit outdated. TengTeX 1.10 has already been
          release on the 22th of September 2000 (and yes, it includes a new tengwar
          fonts reminescent of Knuth's Computer Modern typefaces).

          If any of you like TengTeX you can find an unofficial patched
          version at arena.sci.univr.it/~vicentin/ (there's no home page yet,
          sorry); it's integrated with LaTeX's NFSS but it's still usable with Plain
          TeX.

          In the future (I don't know when) I'll put on line a webpage and
          probably the LaTeX package I'm working on to use the various cirth mode.

          --

          Saluti,
          Emanuele.

          "He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also
          liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting..."
          -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
        • Lola Lee
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2001
            About my question as to whether you would supply a Mac version in the
            future, never mind! I did some searching and found TTConverter, and
            also the font tools by FontLab. If you don't mind, can I try creating
            a Mac version of your font sets so that you can distribute on your
            website? I plan to get FontTools, since it seems complete enough for
            my needs (I don't need a full-fledged font editing program at this
            time).

            Lola
          • Dan Smith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 28, 2001
              At 7/26/01 07:49 AM, lola@... wrote:
              >Any chance you can somehow make the fonts available on Mac platform?

              Sorry. My font programs can create only Windows fonts.