Re: Which English mode do you prefer?

  • Mach Hezan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2003
      > Which mode do you prefer when writing in English?

      I personally prefer the phonemic modes, and according to how I understand
      them, they don't depend on different pronunciations but for a few very
      specific exceptions (only cases like: You distinguish 'cot' from 'caught' by
      pronunciation, so you distinguish them by different spellings; he doesn't
      distinguish them, so he writes them the same way).

      My very favoured is the tehta mode of DTS 39 and 41, but as this mode is
      only very poorly attested and thus requires a lot of own work. So I prefer
      the mode seen on the 'Treebeard Page' (DTS 24) and in some minor samples
      (DTS 15, 25, 28).

      I fear none of these modes is described on the net, only the very similar
      mode of the 'Bombadil' 'Elvish Script Sample' (DTS 18) (the best attested
      mode of all). The best description is in the Tengwar Textbook by Chris
      McKay.

      (I'm working on a description of these modes that includes a description of
      how I understand their spelling, but I'm only getting along very, very
      slowly.)

      The modes I prefer are not the modes I recommend: I recommend the
      orthographic modes - I think it's a matter of choice whether you prefer the
      orthographic tehtar mode or the orthographic 'full writing' -, as they're
      easier for most people, and not only because there's no good description of
      the phonemic modes available, rather because it's difficult to get away from
      Traditional English Spelling.

      suilaid
      mach