Re: Help with some words...

  • Florian Dombach
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2003
      > > formen - óre + right curl / malta - extended stem hwesta + single
      > dot - yanta + triple dot - lambe / silme - númen + right curl /
      > extended stem ampa / malta - ando + single dot & under tilde /
      lambe +
      > under dot / 'a' tengwa + accent / óre / thúle .
      >
      > **Thanks a lot for this detailed description! I wonder how many of
      > these dedications are still out there, spread all over the world,
      > undiscovered...

      Very interesting indeed!
      But would you, Danny, mind to tell us how Tolkien wrote the Quenya-
      part in this very case? Is it the late Quenya-mode of "Namaarie" or
      again what I think to be the "general use" (described at the "Howlett
      Rivendell Inscription" and IMHO used for the "Return of the King
      Jacket" and the "Ridley Dedication").

      Meneke suili,
      Lothenon
    • hisilome
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, DDanielA@w... wrote:
        > Teithant machhezan:
        > > Danny teithant:

        > It is unpublished, but I was shown the autograph by Michael
        Endorion> himself. He said that when he asked Tolkien to sign his
        book, JRRT remarked, "Did you know that your surname means 'son of
        Middle-Earth in Elvish?"

        Did he really? I'm just curious why "Son of Middle-earth" would have
        genitive plural instead of singular (*Endoro/*Endoreo), or is
        Middle-earth somehow to be considered a plural noun?
        Any rationalization?

        Hisilome
      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
          On Oct 31, 2004, at 8:40 PM, hisilome wrote:

          > Did he really? I'm just curious why "Son of Middle-earth" would have
          > genitive plural instead of singular (*Endoro/*Endoreo), or is
          > Middle-earth somehow to be considered a plural noun?
          > Any rationalization?

          This _-ion_ is not the genitive plural suffix. It's the patronymic
          suffix, derived from YÔ, YON- 'son' in the Etymologies.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
            Arden R. Smith wrote:

            > On Oct 31, 2004, at 8:40 PM, hisilome wrote:
            >
            > > Did he really? I'm just curious why "Son of Middle-earth" would have
            > > genitive plural instead of singular (*Endoro/*Endoreo), or is
            > > Middle-earth somehow to be considered a plural noun?
            > > Any rationalization?
            >
            > This _-ion_ is not the genitive plural suffix. It's the patronymic
            > suffix, derived from YÔ, YON- 'son' in the Etymologies.

            Thanks, that also explains the "son" in the phrase...

            Hisilome