Re: [elfscript] The Road Not Taken

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 21, 2003
      Teithan Liam mac Lynne:
      >the velar doesn't get a sibilant immediately
      >following ... and I think that therefore the s in "ages"
      >should get a full silme.

      However we have attested examples of a vowel occurring between a tengwa
      and the attached 's' hook. In the Brogan Christmas Greeting, on which
      we're basing much of this dicussion, the final 's' of 'Christmas' is
      written as a hook attached to the preceding malta, and in the Edwin
      Lowdham Manuscripts we find the 's' in AS 'facnes' as a hook attached to
      the preceding númen. And in some of the full writing English modes we
      even see the 's' hook attached to vowel tengwar! Apparently the 's'
      doesn't have to immediately follow another consonant to 'qualify' as an
      accompanying tehta. A separate silme wouldn't be wrong, but I don't
      believe it's absolutely necessary.