S: Tehta mode, usage of III. and IV. témar

  • Calwen Rudh
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2003
      Hello everybody,

      I spent few weeks on mastering the tehta mode of Sindarin, going
      through excercises, analysis and advanced guesses some of you made
      but still I am not sure of one simple thing:

      The analysis of tehta mode is based mainly on the King's letter, III.
      version (SD:131), right? That's why all of you present that tehta
      mode of that time used IV. témar for expressing the velars only, not
      using III.témar at all. I don't see any reason for this. Why should
      the Elves abandon III.témar in tehta mode when they are using it in
      Beleriand mode? Why shouldn't they utilize the whole Tengwar system
      of letters? The Beleriand mode uses the III.témar only and leaves
      IV.témar unused, but it also uses a completely different system for
      writting tehtar, so it seems that this is something like assimilating
      the Tengwar system to needs of Beleriand Elves. Quite enough
      explaining to me...

      I got a theory which according to me being a beginner could be
      somehow ridiculous to some of you: Is it possible that tehta mode for
      Sindarin uses III. and IV. témar all together, that means that it for
      example doesn't use the twist for expressing the voiceless 'w'? My
      point is, the view/analysis/whatever you are presenting suggests
      transcribing the word e.g. _gwaith_ as 'ungwe'+'twist'/full tehta
      for 'A'/'thúle'+tehta for 'I' and, say, _galadh_ as 'ungwe'/tehta
      for 'A'+lambe/tehta for 'A'+anto, in contrary to my meaning:
      _gwaith_ as 'ungwe'/full tehta for 'A'/'thúle'+tehta for 'I' and,
      _galadh_ as 'anga'/tehta for 'A'+lambe/tehta for 'A'+anto ???

      I guess there are more texts/resources you are gathering of that I
      haven't seen and probably your answer will be: "You shell better
      study..." Whatever, any answer is appreciated.

      Please, advise or I'll have another sleepless night :). And, please,
      do not take this as an attack, I am just trying to figure this out
      since I got crazy about Sindarin and tehta mode and I adore you for
      the job you've done and for your help.

      Thank you, guys.
      Cuio mae, Lucy