Re: Help with some words...

  • Mach Hezan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2003
      John Cowan imaelavit:
      > Sometimes pronounced as in "George", where the "e" is really indicating
      > that the preceding "g" is fricative.

      I had already begun a reply where I wanted to point out that this 'e' might
      be left away (as well as the 'u' in 'guest, guild') since the tengwar offer
      the choice between anga and ungwe for a transcription of the latin/roman
      letter <g>, according to its pronunciation. But then I checked again the
      attested samples and found that the letter <g> is always rendered with
      ungwe, and anga represents always the letter <j>. That surprised me, because
      I had been quite convinced of this assumption which turns out to be an
      invention. Or have I overlooked any sample where the letter <g> is
      transcribed with anga?

      Anyway, here another intent for a one-sign transcription of vowel digraphs,
      taking into account your replies:

      "-i/y: anna
      -e: yanta; but <ee> with a doubled acute
      -a: stemless calma
      -o: uure; but <oo> with a doubled right-curl
      -u/w: vala

      "Note that in some cases, an <u> or an <e> belongs rather together with the
      preceding consonant letter. Therefore, they should be transcribed together
      with that letter. For this <u>, use the inverted tilde above (following-w
      sign), for this <e> use the single point below.

      "Note that in some cases, the two vowel letters can be analysed as belonging
      to different syllables. Then, of course, the one-sign transcription isn't
      adequate. E.g. 'client, brilliant, really'. For historical reasons, I'd also
      suggest to handle words such as 'special' and words such as 'ladies,
      replies, lie' like this."

      suilaid
      mach hezan
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2003
        Teithant Lothenon:
        >But would you, Danny, mind to tell us how Tolkien
        >wrote the Quenya- part in this very case?

        short carrier + acute accent - lambe + acute accent - númen / silme +
        double dots - lambe + circumflex accent / lambe + double left curl -
        malta + acute accent - númen + under bar / short carrier + right curl
        - malta + acute accent - anto + single over-dot - short carrier + acute
        accent - lambe - malta + right curl.