Re: [elfscript] The second Tengwar Challenge is up

  • Chris Ruzin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2003
      On 8/16/03 11:14 AM, "DDanielA@..." <DDanielA@...> wrote:

      > My suggestions on your text:
      > 'years': I would've used a short carrier rather than long (cf. 'dear'
      > in the Brogan Christmas Greeting).
      > 'disappointed': Fine as is.
      I got it right! Excellent!

      > 'by' : Attested twice on the LotR title page as umbar - long carrier +
      > chevron tehta. Go with attested examples.
      I should have done it this way. I even made note of it, but it slipped my
      mind when I was writing the quote out.

      > 'sail', 'Twain' : I would use anna + three dots for 'ai' and 'ay'.
      Similar to how I wrote "away"?

      > 'explore': óre instead of rómen.
      Another obvious mistake I missed.

      > 'dream': Again, short carrier. Judging from BCG and the Title Page
      > Inscription, the long carrier seems to be rarely used in English tehta
      > modes, even where it would seem likely.
      > 'discover': Probably fine, but I would've used the single under-dot for
      > the e = schwa.
      I debated over use of the single under-dot or not. My first version had it,
      but I figured the 'e' sound was strong enough to warrant the e-tehta.

      > All in all, very readable.
      Excellent! I'm learning a LOT by doing this and getting all the great
      feedback from everyone. Who knows? Maybe my writing will be correct within
      a couple more challenges?

      Chris

      --
      Chris Ruzin