Tengwar web app

  • Bill Karwin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2003
      Hi, I'm new to the elfscript list, but I've been interested in Tolkien and
      Tengwar/Cirth for a long while.

      I've been playing around with parsing Quenya and transcribing it into Tengwar.
      I wrote a web application to do this, and put it up on my web site:
      http://www.karwin.com/cgi-bin/tengwarizer.cgi
      You need Dan Smith's Tengwar Quenya fonts installed in order to view the
      Tengwar.

      I know many people must have created similar applications. But I just
      wrote mine out of personal interest, and I thought I'd share it. If there
      are any errors with my transcriptions, I'd be glad to hear about them! It
      only does Quenya, so far.

      Regards,
      Bill Karwin
    • Evert Mouw
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Bill Karwin <bill_yahoo@k...>
        wrote:
        > I've been playing around with parsing Quenya and transcribing it
        into Tengwar.

        Your webapp is great. I've created a similar thing for runes a
        http://www.elspeet.info/runescribe but transcribing tengwar is more
        difficult than runes.

        Please call it "Quenya MODE parsing" and not "Quenya parsing",
        because you are transcribing, not translating.

        A very good online transcriber is
        http://mimas.ceti.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

        But yours looks very good too, thanks for creating it!
      • Bill Karwin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2003
          Thanks for your kind words, Evert!

          I have added some more features to my Tengwar web app:

          - Fixed a few transcription bugs
          - Sindarin Tehtar mode
          - Sindarin Beleriand mode
          - Black Speech mode